Hands going numb on rides road and MTB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeG

Guru
Whilst that's true, Colin, it wasn't connected with cycling. I had been off my bike for 12 months or more when I first became troubled by the numb fingers at night and so on.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm not a particular fan of bike fits for reasons I shan't bore you with, but it does seem likely there is some element of your bike set up causing your problem. That's always assuming you don't have some underlying medical condition.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
If you have an underlying condition then a bike fit that tries not to aggravate it is always helpful, i do suffer from tingling fingers due to trapped nerve that i do physio for and i altered my set up to unweight the hands too .

Drago

Legendary Member
If you have an underlying condition then a bike fit that tries not to aggravate it is always helpful, i do suffer from tingling fingers due to trapped nerve that i do physio for and i altered my set up to unweight the hands too .
I've an elbow screwed together with titanium, and damage to the ulnar nerve. I disclosed all thos to the technician with the medical questionnaire beforehand. Nevertheless, the bike fit aggravated this considerably, and I reverted to my own settings and the problem cleared as the inflammation eased.

Nothing, nothing whatsoever, is more important than comfort when it comes to fitting your bike - if I'm 2% mechanically less efficient on my own settings, then so be it. That's part of the reason I don't fall to my knees and touch forehead to floor in awe when people talk about them.

cyberknight

I've an elbow screwed together with titanium, and damage to the ulnar nerve. I disclosed all thos to the technician with the medical questionnaire beforehand. Nevertheless, the bike fit aggravated this considerably, and I reverted to my own settings and the problem cleared as the inflammation eased.

Nothing, nothing whatsoever, is more important than comfort when it comes to fitting your bike - if I'm 2% mechanically less efficient on my own settings, then so be it. That's part of the reason I don't fall to my knees and touch forehead to floor in awe when people talk about them.
When we talk about bike fit we are talking in general, self done or not :smile: , of course like everything in life their are good fitters and bad fitters , they can have all the gizmos but if they dont understand what works outside of the most efficient position number crunched by a computer they can cause more harm than good.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
If I sit right over the cranks I can power the pedals well but it's not a good position for longer rides. Alright to whizz through some local KOMs. More experimenting required.

cyberknight

If I sit right over the cranks I can power the pedals well but it's not a good position for longer rides. Alright to whizz through some local KOMs. More experimenting required.
http://www.jimlangley.net/crank/bikefit.html

http://bikedynamics.co.uk/guidelines.htm

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/Store/catalog/fitCalculatorBike.jsp
The last one has 3 fits , the eddy fit has always been closet for me , all are guide lines of course and they give you a starting point .

Top Bottom