Hands-off driving legal (limited) in UK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I probably shouldn't say this but we do need thinning out, there are too many of us.

Well volunteered , a plate of spam or failing that Marmite should do it…

D

Deleted member 26715

Will it be able to drive me home from the pub? 🤔
Well funny you should mention that, but, a friend has a Tesla & he's waiting for an upgrade for 'Summon my car' so all he has to do is something on his phone & the car will drive from where it's parked to him. Therefore if you borrow you're wife's Tesla & you ring her as you fall out of the pub & into the back of her car, she can summon the car to come home to pick her up.

The question will be who is in charge of the car whilst being summoned?

midlife

Guru
Well funny you should mention that, but, a friend has a Tesla & he's waiting for an upgrade for 'Summon my car' so all he has to do is something on his phone & the car will drive from where it's parked to him. Therefore if you borrow you're wife's Tesla & you ring her as you fall out of the pub & into the back of her car, she can summon the car to come home to pick her up.

Max distance to summon is 6 metres and has to be in direct line of sight. May be quicker to walk to the car?

D

Deleted member 1258

I presume that technically you're still drunk in charge even if the car is driving itself.

D

Deleted member 26715

I presume that technically you're still drunk in charge even if the car is driving itself.

Well are you? Could you not claim that you had no intention of driving & that the person who summons the car is in charge

CXRAndy

Guru
Max distance to summon is 6 metres and has to be in direct line of sight. May be quicker to walk to the car?

I was once blocked in a car park slot. A van had parked so close it would have involved scratching my car and denting his trying to get in my car. However I just used summon and backed the car out of the parking space. No issues, no delays. Mine came preloaded with the feature

Screenshot_20230416_140857_Tesla.jpg

Last edited:

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
That's bad, innit? You'll own a piece of machinery but you won't be able to operate it in full unless you pay a monthly ransom.

KTM have been doing this on some of their recent bikes. As have BMW with some options, in some cars - I believe.

A lot of the KTM’s come with most of all of the options as standard. But after paying xxxx for your initial purchase - you only get to then access certain ‘additional’ functions by the payment of an ongoing monthly fee.

So going forward - you could well initially afford or buy a used GLX model; but only run around in L trim mode due to be being unable / unwilling to stump up the readies month on month.

OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
KTM have been doing this on some of their recent bikes. As have BMW with some options, in some cars - I believe.

A lot of the KTM’s come with most of all of the options as standard. But after paying xxxx for your initial purchase - you only get to then access certain ‘additional’ functions by the payment of an ongoing monthly fee.

So going forward - you could well initially afford or buy a used GLX model; but only run around in L trim mode due to be being unable / unwilling to stump up the readies month on month.

Bean Counters and their predictable drip-drip revenue streams; a modern day curse!

Top Bottom