Hands up who owns a map?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Slightly OT...

My ambition is to wallpaper the downstairs loo with the local OS maps, then draw in all our cycle routes.

We have a large sale UK map in the dining room that shows all our tours and the Coastal Route we did / are still doing,

I already have a map of the Lune Valley next to the throne...

P1010794.jpg

...although i do plan to fill the whole alcove with the proper full size OS maps instead the photocopies.

not sure what glue to use though... pva might make 'em go wrinkly.
the nanotech surface might hinder adhesive qualities too.

edit... I recently picked up some nice old maps of Lancaster & Morecambe circa 1910 from www.alangodfreymaps.co.uk who has old maps from all over the UK and bits of Europe.

My ambition is to hire a warehouse and paper the entire floor with all the OS 1:25,000 maps of Britain joined up. I wonder how long that would take to do and whether you'd be able to do it all in one go without any bits missing? I wonder what size warehouse you'd need?
Why a warehouse? Call it a work of art (which the maps argueably are) and use the turbine hall. Should be worth a grant :thumbsup:

I've got a few of the local area. I find it easier to plan routes on them then make routes on bikehike for the gps.

BIt OT but a lot of newer ships only use electronic charts now. The paper ones are still preferred by a lot of the guys I know though.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
i got about 20 and a garmin 500. i use the garmin as a satnav for getting to locations in towns/cities when i'm going to a new placement.

pennine _paul and i was out yesterday with a map, i thought it was enjoyable getting the map out to explore.

But has any of you map lovers ever taken a balloon or light aircraft flight about your immediate area? Now THAT is an eye-opener - you get to see how your own perception of layout and distances corresponds with reality and you get to see things you never noticed on the map - for example working quarries are just left blank by map makers and are usually landscaped with berms or forest hiding them so they don't figure much in our knowledge of our area. However when seen from the air a quarry is a huge and surprising feature of naked earth or rock along with all the roads and the infrastructure.
No - just Google Earth :whistle:

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
My ambition is to hire a warehouse and paper the entire floor with all the OS 1:25,000 maps of Britain joined up. I wonder how long that would take to do and whether you'd be able to do it all in one go without any bits missing? I wonder what size warehouse you'd need?
About 50M x 27M

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I've only got 2 OS maps but this thread's reminded me that I need to add to the collection now that I've started cycling further afield. Annoyingly, I live in the bottom corner of the map and there are some rides that need three maps side by side. thank heavens for bikehike! I looked at the personalised OS map but the preview shows that even it doesn't cover "my patch" - and off course the off map bits, being furthest away, are the areas I'm least familiar with and therefore have most need of a map :rolleyes:

deanE

My favourite book is a book of maps. Published in 1910, the Gardiner's Atlas of English History is brilliant. From Roman Britain through to Africa in 1897, with campaign maps of all the main battles along the way. Not so useful on the bike but when its wet and cold and there's nothing on TV (most of the time), you can't beat it. I expect that someone will tell me that an atlas is not a map but they just need to get out more, with a map, of course.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I remember seeing adverts for note books made from old cut up OS maps. If I bought one I'd never use I'd just keep it for the small map sections. If ever I get a geography cover lesson I always look through the text books at the map section and love it is the lesson is to do map work.
I enjoy helping students plan out their DofE routes.

Dear fellow cyclists I must make a confession to owning a GPS, rote planning on the Mac, and using Anquet and worse - I have a Kindle!

However my main planning document is Muirheads Blue Guides from 1926, and I have an entire bookcase full of maps. My local area has over 20 from reprints of early mapping to the OS maps in various editions and antiquity.

Maps (and old Guide books)have a smell,feel, texture and enable you to investigate changes history and places of interest in a way that the modern methods do not

I have a theory that a chap with a map wears a cap and those with a Garmin are helmet wearers - generally speaking
Cuppa.gif

fimm

Veteran
Lots - I like to get a map of whatever area we're visiting, almost as a souvenir. I have all (or maybe nearly all) the 1:50 000 maps I need for munro bagging. I think I get it from my Dad: he must have about 150 OS 1:50 000 and he's also started collecting 1 inch to the mile maps from the 1950s and 60s - they have to be a particular series and printed on cloth; occasionally he'll get a phone call from me: "I'm in a shop and they have XYZ map do you have it?"

david k

Hi
I can't believe the level of ignorance amongst cyclists, especially mountain bikers, over maps.

We live in the best mapped country in the world, our Ordnance Survey maps are amazing works of art and cheap durable battery-free passports to a whole world of legal trails and quiet roads, yet so many riders seem ignorant about maps. I own around eighty maps of different parts of the UK and my maps of the local areas are worn out through years of constant use. I can sit for hours studying maps and working out interesting routes to try.

Some years ago we sold a greenhouse to some folk from up on the hill and when they were trying to explain to us where they lived I went and fetched the local map. Their teenage son was gobsmacked; he had never seen a map and never seen his own house on a map, he had no idea such a thing existed! I in turn was amazed that he seemed to have missed out on such a fundamental part of his education.

So how many maps do you own?

i own a few but cannot recall ever using them :blush:

Top Bottom