Hanging bikes by the saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaijintendo

Veteran
I noticed a lot of community drop in mechanics rack up bikes on a bit of scaffolding.

My friend had his roof done last year and they left one long section, which is essentially going spare.

I am considering firing it across the shed to hang bikes, but here are my thoughts:

+Easy to stick the bikes in and they can drip dry
+Hard for a miscreant to get purchase to cut chains/locks
+++Probably fit an extra bike in

-I ride heavy steel bikes with Brooks saddles
-Rail replacement for Brooks saddles costs >£50

Am I right in thinking it will chew through my rails? If I padded it, would that negate the issue? That jusy leaves the heft of the bike on the saddle... But my heft is probably around 7 times that of the heaviest bike's.

Any thoughts appreciated.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It will be fine - just fit pipe lagging, as it not only stops potential scratches, it also helps with grip.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Its what saddles are for ..... apart from sitting on :okay:

17286358914_bdfbe7bc27_z.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I hang my carbon framed bike up by the saddle.It is an aluminium seat plan .I am not sure if I should do this.Think lt mighr put stress on frame ?
I know that the force there acts in a different direction to that of your weight on the saddle but if a CF frame couldn't take that stress then I definitely wouldn't want to descend at 80+ kph on that bike! :laugh:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
More seriously, Ride London Expo racked my bike by its saddle the first year and wrecked the clamp somehow, so I rode the rest of the weekend with a saddle rocking back and forth a few degrees and replaced the clamp after I got home. Later years, I folded the bike and took it in with me.

Top Bottom