Happy to be alive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I felt sorry for her in so far I am glad I'm not that stupid.

I didn't feel any sympathy for the fact that she got hit by a motorcycle - she deserved it precisely because she was so stupid.

Sorrow and sympathy are the same thing. Maybe one day a HGV driver will be saying the same thing about you?!

Hip Priest

Veteran
I think we all make mistakes on the road. When I was young I rear-ended another car at a junction. I thought the driver might get out and lamp me, but he said 'these things happen, as long as nobody's hurt that's the main thing', then we exchanged details. The experience taught me a lot. I've never had a crash since, and I now know how a gentleman behaves if someone accidentally shunts his car.

Twigman

Difference is you had a choice to take evasive action or to slam on the brakes. A train driver has none. Also peds can legally cross roads whereas peds can not legally cross railway lines (other than at prescribed places). Where was your hazard perception?

My hazard perception was fine, the ped stepped out into the moving traffic. I did attempt to miss her. My first instinct was to try to stop while aiming the bike to a part of the road that, if she had continued on her original course and speed, I might have missed her...but when she started to panic she then changed her course and I had nowhere to go.

Why isn't everyone laying into the injured Gemma on the other thread after her collision with an old lady ped?

I'm off now - I've got work to do.

Thompson

After reading through this thread, it is clear that it is getting away from the actual poit of it. A few of you have said this and I completely agree. Yes there is no 'evidence' or 'proof' but how can there be as it would have happened very quickly and none of us were there. It is no point playing the blame game as it is just a waste of time which can hurt feelings. In my experience I have been forced off the road by a car in whch it was just as much my fault as hers, but a different time, it was very much the cars fault for over taking when there was no where near enough space to do so.

I am glad that aceejay is okay and hopefully not much damage to the bike either. It is always useful to contact the police as IF it was the drivers fault, then he/she can be warned and so may or may not be a better driver for it. IF it was the cyclists fault, then it is a lesson learnt. We all make mistakes as we are human and theres nothing anyone can do about it.

A person posted on here what happened to them and that is perfectly fine to do. It is unfair that such an aweful conversation has been started where insults are being fired at anyone who joins in.

Enough said I think. :smile:

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
I think we all make mistakes on the road. When I was young I rear-ended another car at a junction. I thought the driver might get out and lamp me, but he said 'these things happen, as long as nobody's hurt that's the main thing', then we exchanged details. The experience taught me a lot. I've never had a crash since, and I now know how a gentleman behaves if someone accidentally shunts his car.

Exactly. Luckily for you it wasn't Twigman. I've made a few blinders as well, but I've never had an accident. I put that down to luck more than anything. Some people don't have that luck - but of course they're stupid and asking for everything they get.

Hip Priest

Veteran
After reading through this thread, it is clear that it is getting away from the actual poit of it. A few of you have said this and I completely agree. Yes there is no 'evidence' or 'proof' but how can there be as it would have happened very quickly and none of us were there. It is no point playing the blame game as it is just a waste of time which can hurt feelings. In my experience I have been forced off the road by a car in whch it was just as much my fault as hers, but a different time, it was very much the cars fault for over taking when there was no where near enough space to do so.

I am glad that aceejay is okay and hopefully not much damage to the bike either. It is always useful to contact the police as IF it was the drivers fault, then he/she can be warned and so may or may not be a better driver for it. IF it was the cyclists fault, then it is a lesson learnt. We all make mistakes as we are human and theres nothing anyone can do about it.

A person posted on here what happened to them and that is perfectly fine to do. It is unfair that such an aweful conversation has been started where insults are being fired at anyone who joins in.

Enough said I think. :smile:

To be fair, I initially posted in support of Twigman because I thought he had a valid point - ie. why is everyone immediately blaming the truck driver when the OP has posted such little info about the incident? I must say, the thread has since taken a bit of a nasty turn and I don't want to be part of that - I too hope the OP has recovered fully from the shock.

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
To be fair, I initially posted in support of Twigman because I thought he had a valid point - ie. why is everyone immediately blaming the truck driver when the OP has posted such little info about the incident? I must say, the thread has since taken a bit of a nasty turn and I don't want to be part of that - I too hope the OP has recovered fully from the shock.

His point might have been a valid one, but his way of expressing his opinion was nasty.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian

In earlier threads I though Twigman had a point as well. Later it turned out he was just a nasty piece or work with a possibly sociopathic mentality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom