Happy to be alive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
It was in Manitoba, not Quebec.

Twigman

someone who is unapologetic about hospitalizing pedestrians.
and I should apologise for what?
doing everything I can to avoid a lemming ped who steps into the path no more than 2 metres in front of a vehicle travelling at 30mph?

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
Twigman, I was starting to think that I was wrong about you. In fact, I was going to send a PM apologizing for calling you a troll. I've seen some of your other posts, and I can see that you've just started cycling, maybe to get fit. I mean, you're not on this forum just to tell us all to bugger off the roads. But why do you continue to try to provoke another argument?

Twigman

But why do you continue to try to provoke another argument?

Not trying to provoke another argument.
I do not appreciate being slurred as one who slays pedestrians and feels no remorse.
Yes I felt sorry for the lemming ped.
I am not sorry for any of my actions, I did all i could to prevent the resulting incident.

Not looking for another argument, merely trying to set the record straight.

I haven't just taken up cycling - I did a lot of cycling 25-30 years ago. Regular 40milers.
I am just getting back into it, to lose weight and get fit.
I wouldn't say I am inexperienced, I know all about being overtaken at close quarters etc

I do like to see both sides to a story before passing judgement.
I am well aware that many will start from a biased position relative to their own interests and experiences - I just enjoy encouraging them to think a little further than the end of their nose.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
and I should apologise for what?
doing everything I can to avoid a lemming ped who steps into the path no more than 2 metres in front of a vehicle travelling at 30mph?

Obviously you didn't, or you wouldn't have hit her. You're responsible. And being belligerent about it is not endearing. Neither is popping up in other threads seeking vicarious apologies from other vulnerable or initimated road users for her audacity in daring to cross the road.

Twigman

Obviously you didn't, or you wouldn't have hit her. You're responsible.

No I'm not. The ped was responsible.
Were you there? Did you see what happened?
Is the train driver responsible when a passenger jumps off the platform in front of a moving train?
How is this different?

Edit: - you're the one who brought this up in this thread, not me

A 40 tonne truck had me off the road today, as he was hanging on his klaxon I doubt that this was a mistake. My trembling was a mixture of fear and rage. I had to continue otherwise I thought I may never get on a bike again. Thanks for listening.

Unfortunately, such things are rites of passage for cyclists. I wish they weren't but they are. I think all of us who've been on the road long enough can relate an incident with a truck or a fekkin caravan. It doesn't matter about fault either, the only person likely to die from it is the cyclist. We learn and move on and hope it doesn't happen to often, which, thankfully, it doesn't. Ignore the vultures picking over the bones, they're probably members of Fight Club, which is what these threads all turn into.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
No I'm not. The ped was responsible.
Were you there? Did you see what happened?
Is the train driver responsible when a passenger jumps off the platform in front of a moving train?
How is this different?

Edit: - you're the one who brought this up in this thread, not me

Unless your unfortunate pedestrian was attempting to commit suicide, it's entirely different. And you know it. But Crackle has pricked my conscience - I have allowed myself to become drawn in to this argument, when the thread should have been about a bit of reassurance for the OP.

Unless your unfortunate pedestrian was attempting to commit suicide, it's entirely different. And you know it. But Crackle has pricked my conscience - I have allowed myself to become drawn in to this argument, when the thread should have been about a bit of reassurance for the OP.

Au contraire: It was you who pricked mine by pointing out what this thread should've been about, rather than the all too common specious arguments. I felt compelled to reply.

That caravan, it wasn't white was it. I think I've met it.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Au contraire: It was you who pricked mine by pointing out what this thread should've been about, rather than the all too common specious arguments. I felt compelled to reply.

That caravan, it wasn't white was it. I think I've met it.

It was! A lot of people report similar sightings. The bastard doesn't half get about...

Twigman

Unless your unfortunate pedestrian was attempting to commit suicide, it's entirely different.
Perhaps she was? She certainly behaved no differently from someone who was, except perhaps she wasn't looking and didn't time her departure from the pavement deliberately - it was just an unhappy effect of her timing. There was absolutely nothing I could've done, more than I did, to avoid her.

Would you hold a train driver responsible for hitting a passenger jumping to commit suicide in front of a moving train?
No
How about a train driver who hits a passenger who accidentally falls in front of a moving train?
Your supposition that since the pedestrian that I hit probably wasn't intending to commit suicide suggests that I was at fault suggests to me that perhaps you would hold the train driver responsible if the passenger fell accidentally.

Don't be ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom