Happy with my Univega bargain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
U

User32269

Everybody needs a subtley painted 90's mtb!

Drago

Legendary Member
The Eighties and first half of the Nineties was the time that taste forgot, lurching as it did between pastel shades on the one hand and bling shell suit colour schemes on the other. Even Ray Charles could see things back then.

OP
OP
U

User32269

Appology for thread resurrection but just wanted to say I LOVE THIS BIKE!
All I've changed is seat post, saddle, tyres & pads; so impressed with it.
I've never owned a Univega, a bit of Internet searching shows up a little cult following for these old mtbs, especially in the USA, I can see why.
If your into old steel mtb's, and come across one, buy it! Great fun and appears bombproof. Even the paint jobs grown on me...honest!
DSC_0424.JPG

Turn it over and check for rust under the bottom bracket and the forward end of the chainstays where they attach to the BB shell. I don't know why but Univegas have a terrible habit of rotting right through around this area. I suspect that if any moisture gets in via the welding breather holes that it simply sloshes around in the lower part of those curved tubes and knackers the tube from the inside out.

OP
OP
U

User32269

Turn it over and check for rust under the bottom bracket and the forward end of the chainstays where they attach to the BB shell. I don't know why but Univegas have a terrible habit of rotting right through around this area. I suspect that if any moisture gets in via the welding breather holes that it simply sloshes around in the lower part of those curved tubes and knackers the tube from the inside out.
Cheers, hadn't heard about that. I think this one has just sat in the house for 23 years, not even signs of stone chips on bb shell or stays.
DSC_0437.JPG

I'm just going to use it through the summer, then, if replacing bb will drill a drain hole and treat the inside of the frame.

Top Bottom