Hard hat...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lordloveaduck

Do you think you'd get better protection from traditional bacon, or do you reckon those salmon ones have the edge nowadays?

I find Loraine is more comfortable on my head.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Why bother with egg boxes when we have helmets that have shock absorption and crumple zones built in already.

The problem I have is that anybody could actually believe the owner of that helmet in the OP would have been better off without it on. Still it takes all sorts to make the world go around, or is it still flat?

I doubt anyone would suggest that the owner of the helmet would be better off, but statements such as "it more than likely saved his life" are utterly without merit. Without precisely recreating the conditions of the crash without the helmet we cannot be sure, but it's entirely possible that without his helmet he wouldn't have hit his head at all, or would only have suffered superficial contusions.

It's also possible that he would have suffered serious concussion, and there is the small possibility that it did, as claimed, save his life.

I don't think anyone has suggested that helmets, in all situations, provide no protection at all; just that their protective effect is vastly exaggerated, and the statistics show that you are not significantly more likely to suffer a head injury with a helmet than without.

Finally, the risk of head injury as a pedestrian is broadly similar to that on a bicycle, but if you suggested wearing a helmet to walk into town, people would look at you as though you were insane. There is no logically consistent argument in favour of cycle helmets that cannot equally be used in favour of pedestrian helmets. Only cyclists are singled out to justify why they choose not to wear a helmet. I think that's interesting.

I would not try and persuade people to not wear a helmet if they want to, but it's really important that it's an informed choice, with the limitations of helmets explained and understood, and the distortions and exaggerations of some on the pro-helmet side exposed.

classic33

Leg End Member
Here is whats left of my brothers helmet after he went off a jump too fast and landed on his head, it more than likely saved his life. needless to say no matter how good you think you are, wear a helmet!

d92baa61-c70b-c51b.jpg

Going on what the wearer was doing prior to the incident, I'd say the wrong type of helmet was being used. Which could have increased the injury.

You may be right. There are some pretty hard boiled opinions on this topic - it won't be over easy to change people's minds.

Some of the thinking seems pretty scrambled, although some contributors appear to have poached their views from whichever post they read last.

Nonetheless, I'm not sure you can entirely scotch eggs as a protective garment. They may have some functional benefit.
As a play on words this ^^^^^ is quite a good yolk.

lordloveaduck

Full face
2012-giro-remedy-mountain-bike-helmet.jpg

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
My memory is inside my head and it says don't go jumping off things on your bike as if you come off it will hurt whether you are wearing a helmet, eggshells or a watermelon :popcorn:
Im with 4F on this one, especially a watermelon as it is suited to both vegetarians and normal people.

Alun

Guru
Watermelons are rather heavy due to the water content, this can cause problems for the neck muscles, and they might freeze in cold weather, therefore losing their impact absorption qualities. There are the usual questions over best before dates as well.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Watermelons are rather heavy due to the water content, this can cause problems for the neck muscles, and they might freeze in cold weather, therefore losing their impact absorption qualities. There are the usual questions over best before dates as well.
God, there's always someone who disagrees about watermelons. It's like a chuffin helmet debate:laugh: . I was wearing a watermelon on the way to the pub and walked into a bar. That watermelon saved my life! It did I tell you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom