Hard of hearing beginner!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Hello
I’m a hearing aid user, but the type of aids I have do not allow me to wear a helmet. My predicament being - wear helmet but be unable to hear very much or don’t wear helmet but be able to hear. The uncertainty about the most sensible way to proceed has put me off cycling for many years but with my husband recently getting into cycling I bought a bike - nothing fancy; one of the Dutch style bikes with 6 gears (lame I know!) - I find that being sat upright on this bike makes me feel more aware of my surroundings. What I’m looking for, in order to improve my confidence, are recommendations for quiet/traffic free routes in the Gtr Manchester/Lancashire area.....or any advice generally would be so welcome. Thanks

I think you need to be a little more specific about the areas you wish to ride. As you will be aware there are some lumpy bits, which are not to everyone's tastes, even relatively near the City Centre. If you wanted traffic free and flat, there is the cycle path which runs alongside the East Lancs, although if I remember correctly, there is only segregation from traffic from the slip road with the M60. But from there you can stay segregated until at least Knowsley.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
While it's unlikely I'd ever get to go that fast, even downhill, straps flapping like that screams "too loose" to me. That would put me off wearing the damn thing, TBH...
They probably ARE slightly loose and making them tight would definitely sort the flapping problem out, but then I would have a 'face feeling straitjacketed' problem instead! :laugh:

I don't have the straps so loose that the helmet is almost falling off but I acknowledge that a glancing blow could potentially drag the helmet round a bit.

Still, not the time or place for that discussion, eh? :okay:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
We have some long, fast descents round here (5-7 kms, 40-90 km/hr) and on windy days the effect on one's ears can be deafening.

If I was encountering that with any regularity I'd be wearing these.
They make a massive difference, even at motorway speeds on the Bandit.

earplugs.png

glasgowcyclist

Mmm ... they could be very good for long descents. I wouldn't want to wear them for general riding though because I like to hear cars coming up behind me and my hearing isn't brilliant to start with!

Of course, mine neither but I want to protect what's left of it!

They're so lightweight you won't even notice them and the cord makes it less likely to lose them if one pops out.

Mine have a luminous green/yellow stripey cord and I wear them at home when vacuuming or using any other power tool.
I prefer these to the loose ones because with the latter nobody knows I'm wearing them and they can shout until they're blue in the face. When the cord is visible, people (my wife and neighbours) know they'll need to tap me on the shoulder to get my attention.

ColinJ

Of course, mine neither but I want to protect what's left of it!

They're so lightweight you won't even notice them and the cord makes it less likely to lose them if one pops out.

Mine have a luminous green/yellow stripey cord and I wear them at home when vacuuming or using any other power tool.
I prefer these to the loose ones because with the latter nobody knows I'm wearing them and they can shout until they're blue in the face. When the cord is visible, people (my wife and neighbours) know they'll need to tap me on the shoulder to get my attention.
Ha ha - my vacuum cleaner is bloody loud too - I'm going to buy a pair! :okay:

mythste

Veteran
Mmm ... they could be very good for long descents. I wouldn't want to wear them for general riding though because I like to hear cars coming up behind me and my hearing isn't brilliant to start with!

Then to rely on it is foolish anyway!

Win/win?

Old jon

Guru
Hmm, I do not wear my hearing aids on the bike. They are rated IP 57, which is water resistant. I guess they will not dissolve in rain . . .

glasgowcyclist

Just as a wee public service announcement: did you know that hearing aid users qualify for a disabled person's railcard? It costs £20 for 1 year or £54 for 3 years but you get 1/3rd off the price of rail travel throughout Great Britain. It has no time restrictions and your discount even applies to your travel companion.

More info available here: https://www.disabledpersons-railcard.co.uk/using-your-railcard/the-benefits/

ColinJ

Just as a wee public service announcement: did you know that hearing aid users qualify for a disabled person's railcard? It costs £20 for 1 year or £54 for 3 years but you get 1/3rd off the price of rail travel throughout Great Britain. It has no time restrictions and your discount even applies to your travel companion.

More info available here: https://www.disabledpersons-railcard.co.uk/using-your-railcard/the-benefits/
That's a handy thing to know!

I buy a Senior railcard but it only applies to me and costs £30 a year, £70 for 3 years. I don't have a hearing aid yet, but the time will probably come.

glasgowcyclist

That's a handy thing to know!

I buy a Senior railcard but it only applies to me and costs £30 a year, £70 for 3 years. I don't have a hearing aid yet, but the time will probably come.

When did you last have your hearing tested? You may already be in the range for an aid without realising it, that's what happened to me. Are hearing tests free in England as they are in Scotland?

ColinJ

When did you last have your hearing tested? You may already be in the range for an aid without realising it, that's what happened to me. Are hearing tests free in England as they are in Scotland?
About 30 years ago and I had significant hearing loss even then!

I first became aware of it when I nearly deafened colleagues by accidentally blasting them with a high-pitched tone through a 100 Watt amp/speaker. (I was working with some digital sound gear which had 'crashed' and was sending out a continuous full power signal.) I couldn't hear it despite being a metre from the speaker. People were running over from 20 metres away because they couldn't stand it!

Most of the loss is at high frequencies, so not so important, but some is in the normal speech band which can be a nuisance. I'm ok as long as people speak clearly but mumblers often get lost in the mush.

Yes, tests are free on the NHS.

Public Service Announcement:
  • Kids - when your parents tell you to turn your music down because it will make you go deaf, they might actually be onto something!
  • Be especially careful about coming home from the pub and listening to excruciatingly loud music through headphones.
  • Wear earplugs at loud gigs
  • When drunk and NOT wearing earplugs at loud gigs, it is especially important not to show off to your mates by inserting your head into the bass horn of a PA speaker! :eek:

D

Deleted member 26715

About 30 years ago and I had significant hearing loss even then!

I first became aware of it when I nearly deafened colleagues by accidentally blasting them with a high-pitched tone through a 100 Watt amp/speaker. (I was working with some digital sound gear which had 'crashed' and was sending out a continuous full power signal.) I couldn't hear it despite being a metre from the speaker. People were running over from 20 metres away because they couldn't stand it!

Most of the loss is at high frequencies, so not so important, but some is in the normal speech band which can be a nuisance. I'm ok as long as people speak clearly but mumblers often get lost in the mush.

Yes, tests are free on the NHS.

Public Service Announcement:
  • Kids - when your parents tell you to turn your music down because it will make you go deaf, they might actually be onto something!
  • Be especially careful about coming home from the pub and listening to excruciatingly loud music through headphones.
  • Wear earplugs at loud gigs
  • When drunk and NOT wearing earplugs at loud gigs, it is especially important not to show off to your mates by inserting your head into the bass horn of a PA speaker! :eek:
Was it only me who read all of that as though you were shouting at me :laugh:

Top Bottom