Hard of hearing beginner!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrsScow

Hello
I’m a hearing aid user, but the type of aids I have do not allow me to wear a helmet. My predicament being - wear helmet but be unable to hear very much or don’t wear helmet but be able to hear. The uncertainty about the most sensible way to proceed has put me off cycling for many years but with my husband recently getting into cycling I bought a bike - nothing fancy; one of the Dutch style bikes with 6 gears (lame I know!) - I find that being sat upright on this bike makes me feel more aware of my surroundings. What I’m looking for, in order to improve my confidence, are recommendations for quiet/traffic free routes in the Gtr Manchester/Lancashire area.....or any advice generally would be so welcome. Thanks

Helmets are made of polystyrene and can be cut and shaped to clear your hearing aids. This may void any warranty.

Hello
I’m a hearing aid user, but the type of aids I have do not allow me to wear a helmet. My predicament being - wear helmet but be unable to hear very much or don’t wear helmet but be able to hear. The uncertainty about the most sensible way to proceed has put me off cycling for many years but with my husband recently getting into cycling I bought a bike - nothing fancy; one of the Dutch style bikes with 6 gears (lame I know!) - I find that being sat upright on this bike makes me feel more aware of my surroundings. What I’m looking for, in order to improve my confidence, are recommendations for quiet/traffic free routes in the Gtr Manchester/Lancashire area.....or any advice generally would be so welcome. Thanks
Hello and :welcome:.
I too am a hearing aid user, although I don't use them while riding, as all I can then hear, at almost any speed, is wind noise. The various programmes don't help much either.
I'd say if you can hear enough to be safe, then ditch the aids and wear your lid. Always assuming it's that easy to do that.
Can't help with routing, in Devon!
:biggrin:

Crankarm

Guru
I wear hearing aids, but not often when I am cycling for a number of reasons - wind noise and comfort. I make up for not being able to hear so well by having mirrors on my bike. What type of hearing aid(s) do you have? Maybe a change of helmet would help? All cyclists seek quiet traffic free routes. I don't cycle on busy roads in fact I try to cycle on path, tracks or the guided busway most of the time. Road and traffic scare the crap out of me.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Hi & welcome to CC.
Lancashire and Manchester is a pretty wide search area for cycle trails. May I ask whereabouts you are? I'm in Bolton.
I wouldn't go so far as to say that traffic free routes up here in the NW are plenty, but there are a few that are quite nice.

I don't currently suffer from hearing loss but I did find that when I wore my headphones I was less stressed by the sound of traffic coming up behind me. As mentioned above, a rear view mirror or 2 goes a long way to being able to watch your surroundings.

Welcome to the wonderful world of cycling! ^_^. It's great exercise, good for body and mind and literally broadens your horizons!
First things first,
I bought a bike - nothing fancy; one of the Dutch style bikes with 6 gears (lame I know!)
There is nothing lame about any bike that actually gets you off the couch and out in the fresh air! 17 million Dutch people can't be wrong! ^_^

As others have said, the effectiveness of a hearing aid on a bike might be significantly compromised by wind. Without wanting to start up a helmet debate, try and see what works for you. I wear a helmet on tour, but commute and do errands without. The most important thing is to feel comfortable - physically and psychologically.
Definitely use mirror(s). I thought they were a frilly, unnecessary thing for years until I started to use one. My stress levels dropped considerably and my enjoyment went through the roof.

As for routes, I cannot suggest any, but https://cycle.travel/map is a fantastic tool. You can select your startpoint and using the "suggest a ride" option it will suggest multiple routes around your desired distance. While no online planner is perfect, with a bit of trial and error you can construct your own routes to your own specifications. It even connects to Google Maps so you can see where you will be cycling! (where available). Plus, you have the advantage of sending your husband out to scout the route for you first!^_^

Best of luck in your new adventures!

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Helmets are pretty much irrelevant to cyclists safety. Just carry on without one.

Chris Boardman, Greater Manchester’s first Cycling and Walking Commissioner:

"not even in the top 10 of things you need to do to keep cycling safe"

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Helmet-free hearing aid (x2) wearer here but I don't wear them when riding as the wind roar is awful.

If you understand the very limited benefit of wearing a helmet and balance that with what makes you feel most comfortable when riding then you should be able to reach a choice that makes you happy. Choose whichever option lets you enjoy your cycling more.

(Even if I were a helmet user, I wouldn't wear my hearing aids while riding simply for the discomfort of the roar. I can still hear traffic etc, just have difficulty trying to have a conversation with someone else while riding along.)

Helmet-free hearing aid (x2) wearer here but I don't wear them when riding as the wind roar is awful.

If you understand the very limited benefit of wearing a helmet and balance that with what makes you feel most comfortable when riding then you should be able to reach a choice that makes you happy. Choose whichever option lets you enjoy your cycling more.

(Even if I were a helmet user, I wouldn't wear my hearing aids while riding simply for the discomfort of the roar. I can still hear traffic etc, just have difficulty trying to have a conversation with someone else while riding along.)
Exactly this, although I usually wear a lid.
I make up for not being able to hear so well by having mirrors on my bike.
This is something I will now look into, as arthritis is beginning to limit neck mobility, so good all-round idea!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
On the subject of wind roar, for those of us who do wear helmets...

We have some long, fast descents round here (5-7 kms, 40-90 km/hr) and on windy days the effect on one's ears can be deafening. There is the wind itself, but made very much worse by the flapping of the helmet straps creating a thumping turbulence. I am sure that it is bad enough to cause hearing damage.

I discovered that the helmet straps can be stiffened by putting twists in them. This stops the straps flapping about and partially muffles the wind noise. I would say it reduces the noise by at least 50%.

glasgowcyclist

This is something I will now look into, as arthritis is beginning to limit neck mobility, so good all-round idea!

Definitely worthwhile. I occasionally get bother turning my head to check behind and resisted a bar mirror for too long.
Wish I'd given in sooner as it improves the experience so much.

On the subject of wind roar, for those of us who do wear helmets...

We have some long, fast descents round here (5-7 kms, 40-90 km/hr) and on windy days the effect on one's ears can be deafening. There is the wind itself, but made very much worse by the flapping of the helmet straps creating a thumping turbulence. I am sure that it is bad enough to cause hearing damage.

I discovered that the helmet straps can be stiffened by putting twists in them. This stops the straps flapping about and partially muffles the wind noise. I would say it reduces the noise by at least 50%.
While it's unlikely I'd ever get to go that fast, even downhill, straps flapping like that screams "too loose" to me. That would put me off wearing the damn thing, TBH...

glasgowcyclist

Cool, that's my next purchase sorted. Any recommendations? Myrrycle was always the standard BITD...

I'm using an old model of Cateye bar-end mirror which no longer seems to be produced. Mine's a flat bar bike so the modern option would be this at around £10.

mirror.jpg

Top Bottom