Hard or mesh?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jdg88

I've just placed an order with Kevin at D-Tek for a new QNT! WooHoooo!!

I've gone for a hardshell seat as I found the mesh one on the Explorer comfortable but not quite right, and of course the hardshell can angle even lower. Kevin said the hardshell runs hot and is shaped to the designer's individual shape... might I be better off with the mesh?

Anyone had experience of both? Any thoughts? Thanks!

byegad

Legendary Member
Not experience of the ICE shell but I had a hard shell, (Optoma???) on my Azub and it was OK when laid as far back as possible, I used the open weeve pad and had to dry it after every ride, but recumbut set in after 20 miles or so if I had it less reclined. The mesh seat on my QNT is so comfortable I can go to sleep on it when stopped. You can get more recline on an ice be easing the rear unit out from the cruciform.

For me the ICE mesh is the Rolls Royce of seats.

Is the fitting the same?

Buy both!

I must admit though that I have a shaped carbon seat on the Street Machine and an aluminium sheet on the Hurricane that has large cutouts making it cooler. Neither compares for comfort or coolness with the mesh on the Catrike, you can alter seating position and tightness to suit yourself.

Personal choice as to aesthetics and comfort.

banjokat

I've tried the hardshell and really liked it.

But I ordered mine with a mesh seat and I've no regrets. Wot they said!

Bigtwin

I have one mesh and one hard seated - different model bikes though.

The mesh is by far the most comfy, especially when you get warm. Plus it's more forgiving over the bumps. Don't think you can go far wrong with mesh.

spiro

I collected my Trice T from Kevin and couple of weeks ago and opted for the mesh for 2 reasons; coolness and give because I have the 26" version which has no suspension. One trick Kevin mention was that if you find the metal frame uncomfortable on your sides/arms especially when cornering you wait until the fabric has stretched (about 25+ miles), unstrap the back section, fit a length of pipe lagging over the frame on each side and strap the seat back up. I haven't tried this yet but for the cost of a lenght of black (hopefully) lagging it sounds like something worth trying.

squeaker

Über Member
A year or so ago I used a borrowed (subsequently purchased) Trice T for the Isle of Wight Randonnee. I was so taken by the extra comfort of the mesh seat that I asked ICE about retrofitting one to my 'S' but, unlike a 'Q', it won't fit due to the longer frame on the 'S'.
So unless you wish to compete, I'd go for the mesh.
HTH.

tom_e

Veteran
Can't speak for the mesh seat, but I've just starting riding with the ICE hardshell seat (bike, not trike, but it's the same seat) and am perfectly comfy.

Even in the hot weather the ventisit seems to work very well. I'm not saying my back doesn't sweat, but it worked much better than I expected when out for three hours in the recent hot weather. A little bit dampish on the back of the t-shirt, but I wouldn't call it wet. And the seat doesn't absorb any sweat at all - dry to the touch. Neither does it flex when I give the pedals a shove.

I suspect both options are quite nice. ;)

OP
OP
J

jdg88

Well, it is a pretty unanimous vote for mesh - thanks for all your views - I've gone for the hardshell!

That said, Kevin has said I can try it out for a period and can swap if I don't get on with it. I'm not a racer, far from it, but I'm developing quite a need for speed and the lower and flatter you go.... whoosh under lorries!

I will report back, am thinking I might even have BOTH, it's 0% for 12 months on the Tesco credit card...

Can't wait for Monday evening when I pick up the new toy, yay!!!!

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I run hardshells on both my bents. One being an SMGTe (with a mesh option that I opted against) and the other a Challenge Furai with little choice.

The challenge runs hotter than the SMGTe by some distance. I used to have a foam cushion on the SMGTe, but upgraded to a padded cushion thing. The Furai has a ventisit thing that looks like it was used to pack oranges at some point in the past.

They're both very comfortable, with the SMGTe edging it.

LeeW

I tried a few mesh seats and found they seemed to give me recumbent butt and I personally get on better with hardshells. I currently own 5 'bents, 4 of which use hardshell seats. The one mesh seat I do have is shaped like a hardshell and uses a cushion (bacchetta euromesh) and thus feels a bit like a hardshell but runs a bit cooler.
As I mostly ride fully faired I'm not sure if mesh would make much diffrence to cooling.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
The mesh seat is great, and you can control the hardness or softness by adjusting the straps. The seat foam is also worth getting.

Top Bottom