Hard Tail for £1K ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
The On One is a biggish hit trail bike. It has Shimano Deore kit through and through, with entry level brakes, entry level gears, (the SLX rear Mech is its only saving grace). The frames are lovely, but you could buy the frameset and build up a better specc'd bike for the same sort of money if you shop around. The wheelset on the OnOne can be bought at places like Wiggle for less than a hundred quid. They're nice, but they ain't bombproof (May I be delicate and ask whether you have lost all of your 39 stone?)

The equipment on the Ltd Team is far, far better.

At a guess the On-One will weigh about 14 or 15 kgs. It's steel and it's springy, yes, but Jeez will it be a bastard to lift.
The Cube is a cross-country race bike, with a leaning towards trekking with rack eyelets, so will double as a commuter, but will be great off-road, esp bridleways and fire roads. I ride mine at trail centres after a couple of tweaks(e.g. higher, wider bars,) and it'll handle all sorts of adventurous stuff. . I guess it'll weigh about 12 kg. That's pretty light for the money.

Don't write off the On One, as a cheap frame they're great. The budget build in the spec actually ruins it in my opinion.
What happened to the second hand one you were offered? That was a pretty good spec.

EDIT: I see from your Classified Ad that you already rode a Cube. The one you had was poor spec compared with the Ltd Team you listed earlier on this thread. Stop dithering, what have you ordered?!!

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
The On One is a biggish hit trail bike. It has Shimano Deore kit through and through, with entry level brakes, entry level gears, (the SLX rear Mech is its only saving grace). The frames are lovely, but you could buy the frameset and build up a better specc'd bike for the same sort of money if you shop around. The wheelset on the OnOne can be bought at places like Wiggle for less than a hundred quid. They're nice, but they ain't bombproof (May I be delicate and ask whether you have lost all of your 39 stone?)

The equipment on the Ltd Team is far, far better.

At a guess the On-One will weigh about 14 or 15 kgs. It's steel and it's springy, yes, but Jeez will it be a bastard to lift.
The Cube is a cross-country race bike, with a leaning towards trekking with rack eyelets, so will double as a commuter, but will be great off-road, esp bridleways and fire roads. I ride mine at trail centres after a couple of tweaks(e.g. higher, wider bars,) and it'll handle all sorts of adventurous stuff. . I guess it'll weigh about 12 kg. That's pretty light for the money.

Don't write off the On One, as a cheap frame they're great. The budget build in the spec actually ruins it in my opinion.
What happened to the second hand one you were offered? That was a pretty good spec.

Well, Thats the issue I have now, I purchased it :biggrin: and bloody hell its good.

I now have my payout for the Cube, so Am looking at using that for a new bike, but would consider buyng an On One frame and then building it that way, as it stands I have 3 MTB's

The Cube

Spesh

and now On-One

I want to keep the On-One, sell the other 2 and then use the payout to build a DAMN good bike, In total i'll have around £1250 ISH

Weight wise I am 16stone dead now.

Gaz

EDIT: The On-One will be a Spare bike, Im looking at building an Every Day Commuter for on and off road and a weekend warrior :biggrin:

Cubist

Still wavin'
Cool!!!!!

1250 will build a pretty good hardtail. See my "Build for Cubester's Birthday" thread, that has cost about what you have to play with, Ragley frame, Hope Pro 2 on DT Swiss AM rims, SLX drivetrain, a good mix of finishing kit, hope brakes. Cracking fun bike.

Awesome job with the weight loss, I cannot imagine how good you must feel about yourself!

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Cool!!!!!

1250 will build a pretty good hardtail. See my "Build for Cubester's Birthday" thread, that has cost about what you have to play with, Ragley frame, Hope Pro 2 on DT Swiss AM rims, SLX drivetrain, a good mix of finishing kit, hope brakes. Cracking fun bike.

Awesome job with the weight loss, I cannot imagine how good you must feel about yourself!

Even though I blog, and post here, I cant start to put into words how it feels I really cant.

Just thinking about it, I want to spend about £1100, as I need some new gear.

You say the Ltd Comp is poor vs the Ltd Team ?

The Ltd Comp felt like the best bike I ever did ride LOL

EDIT: That build is bloody nice mate

Cubist

Still wavin'
The one in your pics looks like a 2010 Comp. Mine was a 2009 and had LX front mech, XT rear, Hayes strokers and Tora forks. They did two things with the Comps , first they put the price up by about 100 quid ( I paid £680 for mine in Dec 2008) then dropped the spec by a significant level. Those Dart 3 forks are OK, but not a patch on the Toras. This year however they have reverted to putting decent kit on. The team has a manitou fork if I remember, or a Reba. I upgraded mine by sticking a Reba race on and a half decent wheelset, and cannot believe the difference. Mine has a Truvativ Firex chainset, which I have now swapped for a Shimano SLX, and the XT rear mech for an SLX to match. I have a 710mm mid rise bar on and a 60mm riser stem. It's still blisteringly fast on singletrack and fire roads, but is far less twitchy for the steep rocky stuff. I absolutely love it. It's light and stiff, a particularly great climber.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist

Yeah, it's great which is why I already mentioned it about five posts up... don't people bother to read before posting?
wink.gif

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
The one in your pics looks like a 2010 Comp. Mine was a 2009 and had LX front mech, XT rear, Hayes strokers and Tora forks. They did two things with the Comps , first they put the price up by about 100 quid ( I paid £680 for mine in Dec 2008) then dropped the spec by a significant level. Those Dart 3 forks are OK, but not a patch on the Toras. This year however they have reverted to putting decent kit on. The team has a manitou fork if I remember, or a Reba. I upgraded mine by sticking a Reba race on and a half decent wheelset, and cannot believe the difference. Mine has a Truvativ Firex chainset, which I have now swapped for a Shimano SLX, and the XT rear mech for an SLX to match. I have a 710mm mid rise bar on and a 60mm riser stem. It's still blisteringly fast on singletrack and fire roads, but is far less twitchy for the steep rocky stuff. I absolutely love it. It's light and stiff, a particularly great climber.

It is a 2010 yeah

The thing is , it was/is my first "Grown Up" Mtb.

was bloody brilliant.....Im just amazed as how much better you seem to think the LTD Race will be :biggrin:

I'll be popping to Surosa tomorrow, so will try and grab a test ride.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I know I am a N00b at MTB'ing so please go easy on me :biggrin:

What is the better Spec bike

My new "On One"

https://www.cyclechat.net/

Or the Cube LTD Race ?

Just so I have a better understanding in my head.

Thanks again Peeps
Gaz

Your On-One is a trail centre/singletrack expert bike. It's steel, with a double chainring and a long travel coil sprung fork. It's great, it's a customised speciality type bike for connoisseurs, and as you've already found out, it'll be awesome. If you want to commute on it, it'll be limited, as will any MTB. It will however be fun fun fun, a bit of a beast at climbing, but you will be rewarded on the level and rough downhill sections when you get it into its proper environment. It will take biggish its if you learn to ride it properly, and I would suggest now is your chance. I wouldn't go touring on it!

The Cube has the better spec, notably the fork and the brakes, but you have to ask yourself what you will use it for . The kit on the Cube is designed for lightweight speed over rough terrain. It'll handle an awful lot of rough stuff, but you won't enjoy pointing it down rock gardens in the same way the On One will do them.

They are two fairly different bikes. Both will be brill at one task, limited at the other.

Now you have the OnOne for playing out on, why not treat yourself to the Cube for longer days on bridleways and some trekking?

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Gaz

Your On-One is a trail centre/singletrack expert bike. It's steel, with a double chainring and a long travel coil sprung fork. It's great, it's a customised speciality type bike for connoisseurs, and as you've already found out, it'll be awesome. If you want to commute on it, it'll be limited, as will any MTB. It will however be fun fun fun, a bit of a beast at climbing, but you will be rewarded on the level and rough downhill sections when you get it into its proper environment. It will take biggish its if you learn to ride it properly, and I would suggest now is your chance. I wouldn't go touring on it!

The Cube has the better spec, notably the fork and the brakes, but you have to ask yourself what you will use it for . The kit on the Cube is designed for lightweight speed over rough terrain. It'll handle an awful lot of rough stuff, but you won't enjoy pointing it down rock gardens in the same way the On One will do them.

They are two fairly different bikes. Both will be brill at one task, limited at the other.

Now you have the OnOne for playing out on, why not treat yourself to the Cube for longer days on bridleways and some trekking?

ITs all starting to make Sense now :biggrin:

Thanks for all your help so far mate :biggrin:

pubrunner

Legendary Member
'The best' is a personal preference but there are quite a few nice hardtails at that price.

I'm still pleased with my old 853 Rock Lobster which cost me £1k 9 years ago and Merlin Cycles still do one for that price. I'm not sure that the 19" frame would be quite big enough for you though. It fits me (6' 1") with a longish stem. I'd have thought that you'd be looking at a 20"-21" MTB frame.

+1 For Rock Lobster

Both the 853 Rock Lobster & the Rock Lobster Tig Team SL are cracking bikes. Check out the spec.

http://www.merlincyc...TEAMSL-BIKE.htm

An important point to note, is that Merlin Cycles (in my experience) give first-class 'non-pushy' service - they get consistently excellent reviews. My Missus must have tried 5 bikes before she chose a Tig Team SL, they couldn't have been more helpful or obliging. She was allowed to go out and road test each bike, she was away for 20 minutes on the Tig Team SL, 'cos she was so impressed with it. Also, they allowed her to change a few components at no extra cost & also chucked in a few extra (Free) items.

Oh yes, Merlin are based near Preston - not too far from you and certainly worth a visit.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
That Merlin does look good.

One FINAL Question...... The Ltd Race is £110 more than the Ltd Team......Is it worth that exta ? (Im really poor with MTB Specs, but I guess you all know that now LOL)

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Ah Yes, But now I have rode one, I was looking for more input TBH mate, the poor spec for a grand does put me off.

IMHO, the most important thing is a decent, versatile framset that will last. That's the first thing you are guarranteed with On-One or Orange. Personally, unless you are going to race I wouldn't worry too much about whether the components weight a few micrograms less than some others - and on the other hand, if you are going to thrash the bike properly, cheaper more solid (but still quality) components are actually a better idea - they are sturdier, but are also cheaper to replace - rear derailleur hangers especially have a marked tendency to get bent and broken... Both On-One and Orange spec on the basis of what works best in practice for the price not on what looks best on a tech specs page.

Top Bottom