Hard Tail for £1K ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
^^ he speaks the truth

buy the best frame you can afford in the right size. sod the components becuase if you use the damn thing they'll all wear out or break anyway then you can replace them with something better.

My steel rockhopper is a teenager. Frame and fork are the only original pieces left and it still has years of life left in it.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
How good are the Boardman Frames then ?

I can get one at a descent price and then built it up that way ?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
the Pro HT frame is excellent, though some would say a trifle too light for men of our avoir dupois. I've hurled mine down real mountains and it is still in one piece. I can't speak for the lower range ones (though I think the team may now be that same as the pro)

Cubist

Still wavin'
How good are the Boardman Frames then ?

I can get one at a descent price and then built it up that way ?
No, you haven't got the same buying power as Halfords, so you'll end up spending a fortune on it. They're in the "you couldn't buy the wood for that" category.

You could do with deciding what you want a mountain bike for. The Boardman HTs are in the same sort of league as Cubes. Well specc'd, fast XC machines, built for speed, not abuse. They'll eat rough stuff all day, but will break on rocks and jumps eventually.

You're obviously torturing yourself with questions about "best value for money" , but you need to have an honest opinion about what sort of riding you'll be doing before you can make any serious comparisons between different bikes. PM me a phone number and I'll try to help you make your mind up.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
This might run and run , sorry guys

A bit left of field here, but what do you think of the second hand market for XC MTB's such as the Boardman HT Pro and Cube LTD's ?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If used in the terrain for which they are designed, MTBs tend to wear bits out (or break them) much more quickly than road bikes so you'd have to be careful to get something which is in good nick. 

Speaking of the word 'nick' - you'd also have to make sure that the person selling it had the paperwork to prove ownership, otherwise you might end up inadvertently buying a stolen one.

Your budget is high enough to pay for a very nice new bike so I'd just choose one from your shortlist and get on with it!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was over thinking this....Cube LTD Team 2011 now Purchased.

Thanks All
That's the spirit!

I once spent 4 hours a night for a week researching digital cameras, and eventually announced that I'd managed to get my camera of choice for about £14 less than it was at the first shop I'd looked at. I was a bit embarrassed when somebody pointed out that the time spent on research was equivalent to me working for 50p an hour! 

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
That's the spirit!

I once spent 4 hours a night for a week researching digital cameras, and eventually announced that I'd managed to get my camera of choice for about £14 less than it was at the first shop I'd looked at. I was a bit embarrassed when somebody pointed out that the time spent on research was equivalent to me working for 50p an hour!

LOL...Great Story.....But All I managed was 10% back in accessories ....Mind you on a £990 bike thats pretty good :biggrin:

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
WORTH EVERY....... SINGLE........ PENNY.....

5f8ecf2e.jpg

Top Bottom