Hard Tail for £1K ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Looking at HT MTB's for £1k, That is 100% the total limit on budget.

It seems the Cube LTD Team at £960 is about the best

Do you all agree ?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
'The best' is a personal preference but there are quite a few nice hardtails at that price.

I'm still pleased with my old 853 Rock Lobster which cost me £1k 9 years ago and Merlin Cycles still do one for that price. I'm not sure that the 19" frame would be quite big enough for you though. It fits me (6' 1") with a longish stem. I'd have thought that you'd be looking at a 20"-21" MTB frame.

I thought the Comp was the best value bike as it is a bit less expensive for not too different a spec. BUT. I know nothing about hardtails, softtails or old wives tails :headshake: but was thinking of a Boardman to start with, as Halfords are regularly offering 10% off + a £20 voucher - keep your eyes on their site gb, and wait for the price drops, whatever model takes your fancy.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I thought the Comp was the best value bike as it is a bit less expensive for not too different a spec. BUT. I know nothing about hardtails, softtails or old wives tails :headshake: but was thinking of a Boardman to start with, as Halfords are regularly offering 10% off + a £20 voucher - keep your eyes on their site gb, and wait for the price drops, whatever model takes your fancy.

random musings on subject dear to my wallet heart

Pro has a better fork and some carbon geejaws, and some marginally better Ritchey finishing kit which is all going to break or wear out anyway over time. Pro originally came with a Ti railed piece of crap saddle. But they changed the spec and Pro is now shipped with Cro-Mo piece of crap saddle. Whose arse is that shape? No human beings surely? I beleive the two share the same frame now (but may not have done so in the past?) The pedals, how could I forget the pedals, they are bloody awful things. They don't grip your shoes but boy are they good at taking chunks out of your shins.

So really the HT Pro is a £1k bike you need to spend £100+ on the day you buy it! But only the Pro is the right colour for an HT MTB. Fitting white Ritchey grips is mandatory. Oh yeah and a crud guard won't fit, it fouls the cables and messes with your shifting.

IF (big IF) I was in the market these days and had £1k ceiling a la cyclescheme I'd go for the Team full boinger. STUNNING vfm. Hugely competant bike once you've chooned the suspension.

and then again I'd argue no bike should be sold complete with pedals and saddle as these are highly personal choices but they'd take them off and not cut the price so then again....

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
What do you want the hardtail for? I just ask because there are XC racing rigs that will be light with shorter-travel forks, XC trail bikes with a stronger, heavier frame and slightly longer travel forks, all-mountain HTs with a much tougher frame and much longer travel forks...

If I was looking to buy a new all-purpose HT right now, I'd probably go for this for 999: http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOO456TR/on-one-456-trail

(But they also have the even cheaper Alu XC racing rig reduced right now, if you want something nippier... http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOO26SCD/on-one-scandal-comp )

How about Orange too? Sunset MTB have the P7 at 979... http://www.sunsetmtb.co.uk/shop/index.php?product_id=1400&category_id=81

darkstar

I had a ride on an Orange G3 tora recently, it's a nice ride and can be picked up for just over £800. It's good for trails, though i'd recommend a full sus if you want to take XC seriously.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
i'd recommend a full sus if you want to take XC seriously.

The thing is that you'd pay a lot more for an FS that would be both light enough and tough enough. I wouldn't recommend getting an FS for serious XC riding at 1000 GBP (unless it was a massive sale reduction). My Titus Motolite frame would cost you that much, at least, on its own!

darkstar

True, I was thinking more the second hand route, there are some great bargains to be had. I don't race at all anymore so have to pay for my XC bike, which limits my experience of the new models. Currently riding/borrowing a Kona Hei Hei, it's just too expensive to keep up!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Who need suspension anyway.............. ?

I can't go near the HT Pro's in my Local Halfords - I get a need to buy............. Saddle/pedals usually get ditched anyway.

Cubes are really nice bits of kit, but a little more expensive.....

Cubist

Still wavin'
Looking at HT MTB's for £1k, That is 100% the total limit on budget.

It seems the Cube LTD Team at £960 is about the best

Do you all agree ?
No, Chain reaction have last year's in (black with Magura HS33 brakes for less than 700 quid. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=55059 Search their site and you can find a Ltd Team with Hayes brakes and Rock Shox revelation air fork for a whisker over £700. Search around and you may find a full suss 2010 Cube AMS for about a grand,

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Thanks every (Especially Cubiest for that Link, shame its not my size tho, need 22" )

I like the boardmans but , Halfords !!!

Dont really want full sus

now considering the LTD Race 2011 :biggrin:

i'll keep you posted.

Gaz

Top Bottom