Hard to get parts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Currently bidding on a set of Truvative chain rings for my full sus, as the rings are rare and expensive.

Also got a spare big ring for my vintage Deore LX chainset in my spares tub.

I've also had rare Dura Ace 7400 series sprockets tucked away.

Older MTBs are a mare for certain parts as the standards change with undy changes.

At least my vintage road bikes take standard 8 speed cassettes and 130 bcd chain rings. Although the DA hub is uni glide, so out comes the dremmel to shorted the wide Hyper Glide tab.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What rare parts do you keep for your bikes

I have lots of 9 speed chain rings, most bought cheap at the fag end of 9 speed's reign, or from Germany before the brexit shutters came down on cheap sensible bits.
Some spare mechs, patrticularly lots of XT front mechs.
fair number of shifters.
since I don't intend to go beyond 9 speed I'm pretty well set up I think.
I can see folks with "higher" speed contraptions and supposedly cleverer bits having more of an issue getting bits.
9 speed has also been around so long that there are also plenty of pretty much new bits on the bay.

Also helps I think that all my key bits are shimano.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Over the past 18 months I have kept my self busy “doing up” mainly 90s and 00s mountain bikes then selling them on to people wanting them for commuting.

Iv not had a single issue sourcing the parts mainly from eBay but also occasionally LBS, Halfords and Gumtree. Eg. Spokes, shifters, chains and tyres.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Everything can be 'hard to get' at the moment. Just last night placed an order for 3 chains as stock for my commuter and really need to get a cassette as well for when the inevitable happens.....
Searching for 11-32 10spd tiagra cassettes drew up lots of 'out of stock' hits at the usual mainstream suppliers but curiously plenty of unknown sellers and Amazon/eBay sources with what I wanted.
Having been stung by a couple of substandard chains in 2021 that wore out in about a third of the normal time I am reluctant to risk unknown suppliers again so soon. The chains were either very good fakes (amazingly good packaging if fake) or more likely lower standard out-sourced genuine items intended for less critical markets?

Never mind obselesense problems, getting parts for current technology is a challenge right now.

Two new 2x10 chainrings won for £45. Happy with that as pre current issues, one was £60.
I think the most I've ever paid for a shimano was maybe £15. Usually under £10 or a few small ones for a fiver I think.
Still, you've got your bits - hope they last.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
9 speed chain rings easy to get at moment.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I think some of the issues for parts has been for proprietary parts on bikes where they only sell in small quantities anyway but personally I would never buy a bike with proprietary parts I hate to be locked into paying ridiculous prices and often it means the bikes are scrap only when the supply of proprietary parts ends. It's really the high end bikes that have more proprietary parts where as low end up to mid-level are typically easier to find parts because such bikes sell in such greater volumes.

I have to say a part I like is a 11-34T 7 speed cassette which in the past you could pick up for about £13 and stock of those seems difficult now with much higher prices but that is the only part that has effected me.

I think some of the issues for parts has been for proprietary parts on bikes where they only sell in small quantities anyway but personally I would never buy a bike with proprietary parts I hate to be locked into paying ridiculous prices and often it means the bikes are scrap only when the supply of proprietary parts ends. It's really the high end bikes that have more proprietary parts where as low end up to mid-level are typically easier to find parts because such bikes sell in such greater volumes.

I have to say a part I like is a 11-34T 7 speed cassette which in the past you could pick up for about £13 and stock of those seems difficult now with much higher prices but that is the only part that has effected me.
+1 to this - taught my lesson with a dale with good but troublsome front suspension, and a Dahon Speed Pro folding sports bike.

Now all my bikes are simple, nothing above nine speed. many bits interchangeable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom