Hardly a Classic Halfords Olympic!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PoweredByVeg

Über Member
Just finished doing up this bike, I spotted it on my usual early Sunday morning ride at a garage sale. So pulled over and said I'll be back with the car.

I thought for £10 it was worth a punt, and it looked like it had either 700 or 27x1 1/4 wheels. Imagine my surprise when loading it into the car that they were 26x1 1/4 wheels, DOH! I was hoping to use some old 700 or 27" tyres I had, to replace the perished ones, but had to splash out the wallet busting sum of £16 for two 26" tyres.

standalone

It looked like it hadn't been used much, and was then stored in a shed for years. The chrome had surface rust which polished up lovely with a brass wire wheel in a drill, the frame had no rust, just a couple of scratches/scrapes.

The bar tape was replaced with Bike Ribbon from CRC, £4 and was a brilliant sort of retro shiny mock leather and looks really good.

standalone

Brake calipers and levers were some I had already renovated off another bike, likewise the rear mech.

SR Sakae 'bars and ITM stem polished up nice too.

Date stamps on some components were 1983/1984, but can anyone actually remember them, Halfords seem to have been selling Olympics for quite a few years in different guises.

Crosstrailer

Great buy for £10, well done !!!!

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Good find and a nice job.

I didn't know they used anything other than 700c and 27" on road bikes (apart from wayback when).

Peteaud

Veteran
Why do I never find things like that? :cursing:

She's a peach and looks like a new bike, nice one :thumbsup:

And again.

OP
OP
PoweredByVeg

PoweredByVeg

Über Member
Good find and a nice job.

I didn't know they used anything other than 700c and 27" on road bikes (apart from wayback when).

I didn't think 26" wheels were used that recently, which is why I didn't bother and look. Luckily fleabay turned up some at £8 each, made by the Cheng Shin Tyre company and sold with a Raleigh tag.
Apparently they were the norm on those town style bikes from the 50's and 60's, and the circumference isn't far off a 700cx23.

Top Bottom