Hardtail 29er

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Whistlingdogg

I'm looking for a hardtail 29er and have a budget of around 1500. I mainly do single track and fireroads around Swinley forest and a bit of xc. My current bike is a quite old Scott al hard tail with updated brakes and forks.

As the new 2012 bikes are starting to trickle through an there are some quite good deals around. I can get a Scott Scale Elite for 1199 in large (not sure what size this is though 19 or 21 inch?). I can also get a fisher/trek paragon for 1199 (19 inch). Can also save £30 on the paragon on a cashback deal.

I have been following the whyte 829 and although it is a little out of my price range I would consider it. I'm looking for the right bike and am willing to wait. Do people think the deals I've mentioned ate any good or should I wait for the 2012 models? The 2012 paragon will actually be a superfly Alu HT for 1600 and I think the Scott will be around 1400 but the same APEC and just minor tweaks.

Ian 74

I have had my eye on a 29er for a while and i have decided upon the Giant XTC 29er

http://www.planetfear.com/item/Brand_Giant2011XTC29er_0_0_30838_1.html

The whole idea of the 29er appeals.

Happy shopping

OP
OP
W

Whistlingdogg

I see mediums on sale for also 1199. Bike radar's reviews are very positive. What to do... Can I even contemplate spending 1200 on something that I haven't ridden?

OP
OP
W

Whistlingdogg

The Giant XTC 29er looks top for the moment and at £1200 it does seem like really good value. Ashcycles are advertising for the price. Has anyone has any dealing with them?

Zoiders

No way, 29er's rock on single track. They're not great in the air (DJ), around town (Urban Trials) and knarly downhill, but on the single track so far I've found a 29er just as, if not slightly more proficient.
It depends on what you mean by single track.

In the UK woods among the twisty trails of trees, roots and holes then they simply aren't as quick.

Designed for US riding on fire trails and the like, not UK single track which is little more than deer track in some places.

OP
OP
W

Whistlingdogg

Just so I don't rush into this I'm taking a bike out on the trails I normally ride around swinley forest. They're giving me a scott scale 29er pro. It's a carbon frame and the components are a bit better than what I'm looking at but at least I'll see how it handles on stuff like the tank traps run. It's quite a bit modified though and had much shorter bars than stock (620 I think he said).

I'll be sure to update and give my opinions.

It depends on what you mean by single track.

In the UK woods among the twisty trails of trees, roots and holes then they simply aren't as quick.

Designed for US riding on fire trails and the like, not UK single track which is little more than deer track in some places.

Nope wrong again. While keeping it tight through twisty sections does take a bit more work on a 29er over a 26er. A 29er floats over roots and holes a lot easier than a 26er. That's sort of the point of the bigger wheels.

And no fire road riding around here, just some sweet single track as tight, twisty and rooty as any UK trails.

That's a 29er I'm trying to keep up with in the video.

[media]

]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2SKXGwA2-0[/media]

Top Bottom