Hardtail 29er

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Iain p

Well just finished a 3 hour ride around Swinley forest on a demo Scott scale 29er pro. This has a carbon frame and has upgraded parts (xtr).

Wow! How fast. I didn't really need to pedal the hills as I could take so much speed into them. The ones I did have to pedal up (surrey hill) was so easy. I could have done the whole thing again. So much confidence off drop offs an point and it went.

I should go an ride the equivalent 26 inch (Scott scale 20) but to be honest I'm completely sold.

My question would be, is the speed down to the wheels or the carbon frame and lighter components?

Is the scott demo bike a similar weight to your current bike, for comparison reasons?
Just a thought :thumbsup:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Greg they may be fine for the downs link or SDway, but for single track you need fast wheels and a SWB to get you along them at a decent rate of knots.

Ah, but remember we's not all superfit, mile eating, nutters :whistle: If I did singletrack on a 29er, a 26" or a Brompton, I doubt my overall time would be much different. But I do prefer the big wheels of a 29er, same as if I wanted a 26er I'd be lusting after something like the Surly Pugsley.

Then there's that 'decent rate of knots' bit you mention, some of us are quite cowardly by nature. Just having a bike that is more suited to a certain riding style doesn't mean we'll be able to ride like that, or want to.

OP
OP
W

Whistlingdogg

My question would be, is the speed down to the wheels or the carbon frame and lighter components?

Is the scott demo bike a similar weight to your current bike, for comparison reasons?
Just a thought :thumbsup:

A question that I'm loosing sleep over I'm afraid. Was it the carbon frame an the xte components that made it super easy to climb an give me the extra confidence or was it the wheels? I'm sure it's a bit of both but how much. I need to rude a 26er carbon frame with high high spec components and an aluminium hardtail with stock components to really answer that. And I expect the answer only to be right for me and what I enjoy. So there will be no right or wrong conclusion.

lukesdad

Ah, but remember we's not all superfit, mile eating, nutters :whistle: If I did singletrack on a 29er, a 26" or a Brompton, I doubt my overall time would be much different. But I do prefer the big wheels of a 29er, same as if I wanted a 26er I'd be lusting after something like the Surly Pugsley.

Then there's that 'decent rate of knots' bit you mention, some of us are quite cowardly by nature. Just having a bike that is more suited to a certain riding style doesn't mean we'll be able to ride like that, or want to.

Fair comment. Fast on single track in the OP was my main point of reference. As you say if performance is not part of the criteria it doesn t matter what you ride. My point still stands though they re a sales pitch like hybrids. They ll take off just the same, and as with hybrids peeps will by them and as they grow more competent and try stiffer challenges they ll wish they hadn t. But hey whatever floats your boat ! :hello:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Greg they may be fine for the downs link or SDway, but for single track you need fast wheels and a SWB to get you along them at a decent rate of knots.

you're having a laugh :thumbsup:

my audax bike does the downslink and I've ridden the SDW on my tourer. thouse would not be my test lab. My 29-er singletrack experience is limited though to that I could find in the quantocks, and locally, this spring, and in austria a couple of years back.

once they adapt a given rider will be just as quick imo. 29-ers roll better once up to speed ime.

Of course my perfect mtb would have a 29-er front and a 26" rear and frame geometry to suit.

lukesdad

you're having a laugh :thumbsup:

my audax bike does the downslink and I've ridden the SDW on my tourer. thouse would not be my test lab. My 29-er singletrack experience is limited though to that I could find in the quantocks, and locally, this spring, and in austria a couple of years back.

once they adapt a given rider will be just as quick imo. 29-ers roll better once up to speed ime.

Of course my perfect mtb would have a 29-er front and a 26" rear and frame geometry to suit.

Some folk are never happy :biggrin:

lukesdad

One off special ?or in production

Fair comment. Fast on single track in the OP was my main point of reference. As you say if performance is not part of the criteria it doesn t matter what you ride. My point still stands though they re a sales pitch like hybrids. They ll take off just the same, and as with hybrids peeps will by them and as they grow more competent and try stiffer challenges they ll wish they hadn t. But hey whatever floats your boat ! :hello:

Wow, I'm impressed with your persistence to stick with an out of date opinion. If performance is part of the criteria a 29er would still work, in fact rock in XC races on tight arse single track.

Have you tried one yet?

Heck Kulhavy just won the UCI world cup on one. Could he have won on a 26er, maybe, was it really the bike that made all the difference, maybe not, but he still won on a bike that a lot of folks feel put him at a disadvantage.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
One off special ?or in production

Boutique production iirc. Didn't 'dale make the same/similar when 29-er first sprang on the scene? It strikes me it should feel like it accelerates like an mtb Lightning whilst rolling really easily... but having to carry two different sized tubes could get old really fast.

EDIT: bit of googling suggests some niche builders still do them. Carver and Ventana to name but two.

The axe I grind is a simple one. No one designed the 26" wheel for mtb-ing it's just what they had at the time. With a blank sheet of paper what would be best, provided you can persuade people to re-learn their 26-er skills.

lukesdad

Wow, I'm impressed with your persistence to stick with an out of date opinion. If performance is part of the criteria a 29er would still work, in fact rock in XC races on tight arse single track.

Have you tried one yet?

Heck Kulhavy just won the UCI world cup on one. Could he have won on a 26er, maybe, was it really the bike that made all the difference, maybe not, but he still won on a bike that a lot of folks feel put him at a disadvantage.

He s paid to ride what he s told :thumbsup:

lukesdad

Tight arse single Track like the one in your vid :biggrin: By the way the guy in front is either a better rider or knows that route better than you :thumbsup:

Zoiders

I pulled a ride vid at random from youtube of my usual stamping ground.

It's nothing flashy it's just an average rider riding UK single track that you wouldn't want to be using a 29er on.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ZNvL-E1aNEE

This guy impressed me, he's on a clapped out Carerra with V brakes and he still rips the piss out of that tame 29er vid on real single track.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xjd5TE_OkL4&feature=related

That's style cop on the Stafford side and not strictly the monkey, that side of the chase you are rapidly getting into all mountain riding and not just single track.

Top Bottom