Hardtail 29er

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zoiders

While there might be trees in that vid it's not really that much like UK single track at all it's just a trail - looking at that vid it looks to have been cleared back a lot and it's seen a lot of foot traffic and shovel work, I am guessing that it's the US from how dry it is as well.

It's simply too dry, too wide and it doesn't have enough in the way of exposed roots or lumps and bumps as it doesn't see the rain fall to make them.

Racy soundtrack or not it's not as challenging as you make out, it almost looks wheelchair accessible to be honest.

While there might be trees in that vid it's not really that much like UK single track at all it's just a trail - looking at that vid it looks to have been cleared back a lot and it's seen a lot of foot traffic and shovel work, I am guessing that it's the US from how dry it is as well.

It's simply too dry, too wide and it doesn't have enough in the way of exposed roots or lumps and bumps as it doesn't see the rain fall to make them.

Racy soundtrack or not it's not as challenging as you make out, it almost looks wheelchair accessible to be honest.

Nice try, and it is hard to tell through a wide angle lenses, but the trail isn't wide enough to walk 2 abreast.

The trails here compare nicely with anything I've ridden in the UK ('cept no hills, I do miss hills) as rooty and as twisty, though as you noticed not as wet.

I was late coming to 29ers and hesitated to believe their advantages, but so far I like my new bike. I still keep a 26er for some race courses, ones where the pro's of 26er acceleration override the pro's of 29er higher momentum.

And for longer riders I much more comfortable ride of the 29er ht over a 26er ht.

Nothing like my local single track, I could go a look quick if i had that trail to ride on and I'm 66.

My son has got a 29er he looks and moves very top heavy. On road he I can just keep up with him off road I wait for him. And he is only 34yrs old.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
why not move onto dogmatic assertions based on sheer subjective opinion and bugger all empirical evidence about steel vs ali frames, or wearing a helmet or no while we are at it?:whistle:

OP
OP
W

Whistlingdogg

Well just finished a 3 hour ride around Swinley forest on a demo Scott scale 29er pro. This has a carbon frame and has upgraded parts (xtr).

Wow! How fast. I didn't really need to pedal the hills as I could take so much speed into them. The ones I did have to pedal up (surrey hill) was so easy. I could have done the whole thing again. So much confidence off drop offs an point and it went.

I should go an ride the equivalent 26 inch (Scott scale 20) but to be honest I'm completely sold.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Well just finished a 3 hour ride around Swinley forest on a demo Scott scale 29er pro. This has a carbon frame and has upgraded parts (xtr).

Wow! How fast. I didn't really need to pedal the hills as I could take so much speed into them. The ones I did have to pedal up (surrey hill) was so easy. I could have done the whole thing again. So much confidence off drop offs an point and it went.

I should go an ride the equivalent 26 inch (Scott scale 20) but to be honest I'm completely sold.

How many $$$'s will the 29'er version cost you ?

OP
OP
W

Whistlingdogg

I took this one out just to get a feel for the 29er style of bike. I'm still looking at the giant xtc 29er for £1250

lukesdad

Swinley isnt typical Uk singletrack its forest track. Why dont you get a proper mtb and be done with it. :whistle:

lukesdad

Nice try, and it is hard to tell through a wide angle lenses, but the trail isn't wide enough to walk 2 abreast.

The trails here compare nicely with anything I've ridden in the UK ('cept no hills, I do miss hills) as rooty and as twisty, though as you noticed not as wet.

I was late coming to 29ers and hesitated to believe their advantages, but so far I like my new bike. I still keep a 26er for some race courses, ones where the pro's of 26er acceleration override the pro's of 29er higher momentum.

And for longer riders I much more comfortable ride of the 29er ht over a 26er ht.

You use a 29er for XC racing ?

Yep, just got back into racing again, and after listening to a bunch of hype from friends racing 29ers I thought I'd give it a go too. I did ok for a first season back, finishing middle of the pack overall in cat 2, even managing a third and a brief visit to the podium.

I'm going to race a few more times this autumn and then work out if I want to build up another 26er to race on or stick with the 29er. Or even build up a new light weight full susser to race on.

29er's even get raced on the world circuit with a first win at Dalby this year.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/mtb-world-cup-cross-country-2-cdm/elite-men-cross-country/results

OP
OP
W

Whistlingdogg

Swinley isnt typical Uk singletrack its forest track. Why dont you get a proper mtb and be done with it. :whistle:
It doesn't matter if it's typical or not, I live 4 miles away and so will be doing most of my riding there. I don't really understand your comment anyway, care to elaborate? I went around Cannock chase a few weekends ago and that seemed quote similar. I guess that isn't typical either then.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.

Yes. We should all ride bikes with 26" wheels because that is what the originators of our sport had to use.:whistle:

Perhaps we should also insist on cut down motorcycle bullhorns, coaster brakes, flared jeans, and long hair to ensure we ride proper mtb's and are proper mtb-ers?:tongue:

If he wants to ride a 29-er, let him. Once he is used to the slightly different feel he will be just as quick on singletrack as he is now. :blush:

lukesdad

They are a n+1 sales pitch. :thumbsup:

Put the right rider on the wrong bike they will be fast anyway.

Try a cyclo cross steed round Swinley you will be even faster.

Single track as most mtbers I know regard them are either tight and twisty technical or steep or a mixture of the 3.

Greg they may be fine for the downs link or SDway, but for single track you need fast wheels and a SWB to get you along them at a decent rate of knots.

Top Bottom