Hardtail 29er

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukesdad

Boutique production iirc. Didn't 'dale make the same/similar when 29-er first sprang on the scene? It strikes me it should feel like it accelerates like an mtb Lightning whilst rolling really easily... but having to carry two different sized tubes could get old really fast.

EDIT: bit of googling suggests some niche builders still do them. Carver and Ventana to name but two.

The axe I grind is a simple one. No one designed the 26" wheel for mtb-ing it's just what they had at the time. With a blank sheet of paper what would be best, provided you can persuade people to re-learn their 26-er skills.

Probably my 6 year olds islabike. I rode it round the skills park at brechfa awsomely fast In the right hands of course :whistle:

He s paid to ride what he s told :thumbsup:

True, yet he still won on a bike many consider slower than a 26er.

Zoiders

True, yet he still won on a bike many consider slower than a 26er.
When the UCI loses it's seemingly arbitrary grasp on a sport it seems to know naff all about then one day XC racing might resemble mountain biking.

The new olympic course is a classic example, it should have been set up like a rally stage crossed with an adventure race complete with the same style of coverage, the UK has plenty of places to do it in and it should have been a free to view event, instead it's a crit race on gravel.

It's been said that they find it hard to find people to compete - that's because they look in the wrong place - as in not the actual body of people involved in the actual sport at grass roots.

When the UCI loses it's seemingly arbitrary grasp on a sport it seems to know naff all about then one day XC racing might resemble mountain biking.

The new olympic course is a classic example, it should have been set up like a rally stage crossed with an adventure race complete with the same style of coverage, the UK has plenty of places to do it in and it should have been a free to view event, instead it's a crit race on gravel.

It's been said that they find it hard to find people to compete - that's because they look in the wrong place - as in not the actual body of people involved in the actual sport at grass roots.

Yes, can't argue with that, the jessyfication of XC races has been going on for years as an attempt to get more roadies to come race.

It would have been nice to see the olympic race use some of the existing trails. Coed Y Brenin would have been a great place to hold the race.

lukesdad

The SAMS series in the south used to have good well subscribed races although the courses were fairly tame and multilap affairs as was the Gorrick series. Since the take off of Marathon events they took over as the most popular form of event. IMO this was more financial than course type £20 for a days riding compared to 1and half hours on the multilap stuff. Some of the tougher lap events have dissappeared from the calender round here,due to lack of takeup.A real shame, but as with most things its a supply and demand thing. Freeriding is now the most popular mtb discipline here now with occasional trips to the centres but they are really quiet boring.

A 29er would really struggle on the sheep trail type freeriding in Wales.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.

very true and well said. How do we get the UCI to listen?

Zoiders

We don't have to get them to listen, people just have to ignore them and do their own thing.

When a separate organisation can make representations and push them out we may see changes.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Yes, can't argue with that, the jessyfication of XC races has been going on for years as an attempt to get more roadies to come race.

It would have been nice to see the olympic race use some of the existing trails. Coed Y Brenin would have been a great place to hold the race.

Amen to that. Would have been interesting getting camera into much of it though. The Afan valley also offers much.

OP
OP
W

Whistlingdogg

Just got back from my hols and finally got to take out an equivalent 26er. It was a Scott scale 20. Beautiful bike and a great ride.

Very lively and turned in quicker but I found that I was less confident on this and didn't take the speed through the trails. There was a point on a trail that I carried speed on the 29er that took me almost to the top of the next rise but I had to pedal hard on this one.

I just remember how I felt after a 3 hour ride on the 29er - just one more trail...

So it's now down to a carbon 29er for around 2k. The new Scott scale 29 expert is 2199 and I can get one in October. The Whyte 29c is 1999 and the 29cs is 2599 but both won't be available until jan.

There's little or no difference between the 2011 and 2012 scotts and so if I could get my hands on a scale 29 pro 2011 (large) I'd be very happy I think

Top Bottom