Harlequins (not the rugby team)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brockers

The ladybirds I mean. I can't believe how many have colonised in my old wooden sash window-frames. They're not the cute little bugs that I remember from days of yore either, but aggressive little buggers who crawl over you when you're sleeping and nip you. So I've taken a can of Raid fly-killer to them. Are they like grey squirrels (another American import) in that they don't have any natural predators? I can't help thinking that if their numbers keep increasing at the rate of the last couple of years, then world domination is only a wing-beat away.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
It's odd the way they've taken over. I often get them invading my flat, especially during winter. Apart from having more spots, they're a different shade of red than the old 2 spots and 7 spots. I found a dead 2 spot in a vivarium I brought out the loft a year or so ago, and thought it was the first time I'd seen one in years. However, I did see a few of our native ladybirds last summer. It's bad though. They're here to stay, and apparently they eat our native ladybirds.

OP
OP
brockers

brockers

Thanks Wafflycat. I'm aware of that survey, but I'm not interested anymore in reporting their advance: I just want to exterminate them (although it looks like Beauveria bassiana could be my weapon-of-choice)!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Are these 'killer' ladybirds?🤔

I spotted them half an hour ago.

Rocky

Hello decadence
Are these 'killer' ladybirds?🤔

View attachment 601056

View attachment 601057

View attachment 601058

I spotted them half an hour ago.
I think they may be Harlequin ladybirds
AFD237D2-7799-4EBB-A797-0B9B4F37C632.jpeg

I got this from Google…..this is a harlequin and looks like yours.

Top Bottom