Harlow to Sudbury lunacy.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
Had I a grain of common sense on Saturday morning I would have got five miles down the road then immediately turned round and come straight back home. However I am a stubborn old fool so carried on. The northerly wind was horrendous and I was heading north east for 50 miles. Now I am not a fast cyclist, with an average average speed of about 12mph over most of my rides of about 30 odd miles. I averaged a touch under 12 mph on this years Dun Run. Saturday, because of the wind I was riding long periods at little more the 7-8 mph. Then there was the snow, hail, sleet and periods of torrential rain, but the real killer for me was the wind. It just blew away any pleasure from the journey.

Today, Sunday, I had to ride home. The wind had changed direction overnight and was southerlyish, and I was travelling south! It was quite a hilly course, Sudbury, Hedingham, Wethersfield, Finchingfield, Dunmow, Harlow. Again because of the head winds I just could not make decent progress and was very tired. I had some energy gels which I saved for the last hilly few miles which helped. At least it wasn't raining.

I didn't stop my cycle computer yesterday so I have an accumulated mileage and speed. I had 104 miles in total with an average speed of 9.4mph, which is a bit of a surprise seeing how slow I was over much of the ride. Never mind. One shouldn't ride a bike if you can't take a joke that nature likes to throw at us now and then.

OP
OP
compo

compo

Veteran
I have just been reminded of Rule 9:

Rule #9
// If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Fair-weather riding is a luxury reserved for Sunday afternoons and wide boulevards. Those who ride in foul weather – be it cold, wet, or inordinately hot – are members of a special club of riders who, on the morning of a big ride, pull back the curtain to check the weather and, upon seeing rain falling from the skies, allow a wry smile to spread across their face. This is a rider who loves the work.

I feel better now. It's badass 'ard i am!!

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Gah! That part of the world undulates like a wrongun - headwind on an Essex hill is hardcore! You really are badass, most long rides folk report on are on one day (with notable exceptions) so there and back really is 'taters deep in the ride!

Also riding solo over distance is much tougher than even having one companion, no matter what any nutter says. Compo, I tip my cap to you. Actually I'm not wearing a cap so instead I'll quaff some brutal homemade ginger beer to you.

Lee_M

Guru
Bad weather when I'm riding is fine, torrential rain forming rivers down the road before I set off isn't, so went back to bed

Top Bottom