Harsh confrontation in TdF?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
That's why I used the photo - different context

Ah ok

david k

Hi
Bizarre logic.

Doesn't matter that a few cyclists could have ended up with broken bones, or worse, just as long as litttle Pierre doesn't hear some naughty words!

not sure id call it bizzarre but i understand the riders aggression, it was stupid and irresponsible of the dog owner

not wanting children to witness that is not bizzarre IMHO

david k

Hi
When would you have confronted the guy? - I doubt he would have given you his address.
I think such callous actions warrented him being beaten to a pulp in front of his family, I think he should have been put in hospital as he could have done the same for numerous riders, his stupidity had the potential to injure sufficiantly enough to ruin seasons and end carrears.

every action has a consequence...... thats how I was brought up

totally disagree, yes people get emotional and i fully understand the reaction. it was stupid of the dog owner but i totally disagree that somebody should be beaten to a pulp in front of his family for a stupid mistake.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
totally disagree, yes people get emotional and i fully understand the reaction. it was stupid of the dog owner but i totally disagree that somebody should be beaten to a pulp in front of his family for a stupid mistake.

I would agree if it was a stupid mistake however nobody in their right mind would think that this was an appropate place to let a dog off a lead, the mans actions and choices were without care or consideration for people who he could have seriously injured. Are you suggesting he had no idea, of what the possible consequence of letting the dog of the lead in such an enviroment. If he is actually that stupid he should not have a child or animal in his care at the very least. imho it was not a error of judgement, a mistake, but it was most certainly stupid.

thom

____
If you follow cycle races, you come across lots of stupid incidents with dogs in particular. I can imagine that for really a lot of the local people who take the opportunity to watch the colourful cyclist party of the TdF passing their home town with their family but who otherwise aren't interested in cycling, then they don't perceive the tendancy for dogs to wonder into the path of this large pack of moving objects as if to join in, with the problem that can cause.
There were probably thousands of such possibilities during this tour. The problem is how to communicate to these people the dangers of dogs off the lead. If that picture of Gilbert makes him look an aggressive, insensitive bully, well that's bad PR for him but the positive thing is the drama of the picture is also more likely to get to a wider audience and make a point. I'm sure Gilbert would be able to be more diplomatic a day later.
Year in year out you see idiot tifosi running beside cyclists on climbs. Those people are self professed cycling fans and still they can't perceive their attention seeking behaviour to be a problem. So personally I think they are worse than the dog owner but perhaps the picture will help.

oldroadman

Veteran
A very stupid mistake by the dog owner, and completely understandable reaction form PG. What people fail to think about is that a crash caused by a completely avoidable action, can end a professional riders career. Which takes away his/her living. I wonder what the reaction would be if someone caused a crash with their dog or just by general stupidity (I agree about the spectators, a lot are drunk and/or stupid and just want to be in shot on TV - tossers) then ended up in court paying massive damages to a rider whose carreer had been cut short by their actions?
It's something all pros have to live with, every day you race.

festival

Über Member
I have sympathy as years ago in a race on Surrey roads I had a similar incident and had to be restrained by others from attacking the dog owner.( I threw my bike at him, so i suppose that constitutes an attack.) While I feel to this day he deserved a fat lip i was glad i was restrained as it would have been my collar felt.
Not sure how the magistrate would have viewed my mitigation but if we win a few more TdF's etc maybe cyclists will be given the benefit more often.

Alun

Guru
Should they call the Police?

1994-djamolidine-abdoujaparov.jpg
Get him to police a truck racing event, it won't happen again.........................ever!

Globalti

Legendary Member
I was being chased up a hill by an excited barking collie last winter and managing to ignore it when the little barsteward nipped my bum. I was so angry that in one swift movement I threw the bike down and turned to give the collie a good kick. The last I saw of it, it was scampering away looking like one of those cartoon dogs with its hind legs overtaking its front, looking back at me over its shoulder with an "Ooooh sheeeit!" expression.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
back marker: HORSE BACK!
guys in front: what did you say?
back marker: HORSE FRACKING BACK!!
everyone: AAAAAAAAAH!

At the next feeding station they had a Mussette full of sugar lumps and grass for it!

Seriously though, can you imagine standing by the roadside, watching all the bikes go past when all of a sudden you realise with utter horror that, that's your horse running past!

Top Bottom