Has anyone bought an 18 year old a successful present?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
My parents bought me a pair of west German Zeiss pocket sized binoculars they are still as lovely as the day I got them.

If we're talking about what our parents gave US for our 18th birthdays, mine gave me a lovely Point Five Zero down-filled sleeping bag. I've had it for 43 years and still occasionally use it; the down is a bit clumped up but it's still nice and cosy in dry conditions. I've enjoyed hundreds and hundreds of warm cosy nights in that bag so it was definitely a successful present.

Now that's the kind of thing I had in mind! Something that's real quality, that lasts, that gives pleasure every time it's used. I already gave them both Swiss Army knives. (Funnily enough my Dad gave me an expensive down sleeping bag when I was in my teens - fantastic thing...I used it for years, decades, until eventually the cloth simply started to fail, and I'd wake up every morning looking like a chicken after a rough night out.)

Globalti

Legendary Member
I gave my cycling buddy's son a proper waiter's friend bottle opener, which I had engraved with his name. Wonder if he's lost it at uni yet?

Sandra6

Veteran
I think the point of an 18th present - or a 21st for that matter - is that it's something designed to be kept. It doesn't have to be expensive, just something thoughtful that can be kept , even if it is in a drawer, and looked at from time to time fondly.
'spoons vouchers would go down well with any student I think, maybe with a small token gift that's more personal?

Top Bottom