Has anyone bought an 18 year old a successful present?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Ours is coming up to the Big Day, and we're at a loss. We'd like to get her something that will last and be appreciated in years to come, but can't think what. She's not into jewellery...I considered a good pen, but she'd only lose it...have you ever bought an 18th pressie that proved a hit?

(T'other's coming up on the Big 21, BTW, so any thought there would also be appreciated.)

I got (asked for) an electric guitar and amp. Loved it. Still have it though gathering dust these days but ready to pass on to kids if they want to have a go.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Serious suggestion. I stuck some cash behind the bar of our local for my eldest daughters. She had a really good day with pals dropping in and out all day....legally.

I was amazed at how far the cash went. We also did a photo book and asked her friends to sign it on the day, along with paying her insurance on the car (which was also kind of a gift but is technically shared between us both...although I rarely drive it tbh)

rugby bloke

Veteran
Tech always goes down well - My eldest was off to start an engineering degree so we bought him a high spec laptop that he could use for his studies ... Like wise we bought middle son a Surface, which is proving to be very useful for his PE A level. I guess its the modern equivalent of a pen.

subaqua

What’s the point
My parents bought me some tools for my trade . Still have them and they still get used.

21st I got a "megger" which got nicked out if the van 10 years later . In a strange twist of fate I did an instrument audit at the company I now work for and found it 12 years after it got nicked .

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Giant bouncy castle and an ice cream van for all her school-friends and others to switch off?

If they're doing A-levels it'd be appreciated more than you think.

Or a car / bike / watch / holiday - but all of these are much more expensive.

Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Does she drive? Does she want to but does not have a licence yet? You could always pay for her to have driving lessons. that is something she will always have.

Top Bottom