Has anyone done a London to Paris?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sarahale

Über Member
I'm thinking about taking part in a ride like the above next year to raise money for our charity of the year at work.

It's pretty pricey as I'd only want to do the fully funded option and I just wondered if it was worth it or if there are any alternative rides anyone can suggest.

Any advice? I can only go with an organised group ride as need the support car and route mapping/ hotel booking these companies offer (I'm not brave enough to go it alone)

Thanks

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/london-to-paris-day-one-unlucky-13.165730/

yep, lots of info here for you. I eventually went with pals and one of them drove a support van, full of catering stuff but Discover Adventure do a few rides each year that deal with this. in my experience they are very good and pretty cheap once you take into account accommodation, meals, ferries etc.

Have fun.

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/london-to-paris-day-one-unlucky-13.165730/

yep, lots of info here for you. I eventually went with pals and one of them drove a support van, full of catering stuff but Discover Adventure do a few rides each year that deal with this. in my experience they are very good and pretty cheap once you take into account accommodation, meals, ferries etc.

Have fun.

Perfect thanks, I did have a search but alot of threads were talking about route which I don't need to think about if it's organised. Was looking at action adventure also so again thanks for recommendation. It's something I've always wanted to do so I'll just miss out on a beach summer holiday for a year and do this instead. Will check out your thread.

Sorry to hijack, but the only way that would appeal to me is solo - has anyone sent stuff in advance to a hotel to save carrying?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
DIY

The money you (or the charity) end up paying the organisers is better going to the charity,
Surely that depends on whether the amount paid to the organisers above the costs to you is worth more than the time you'd spend?

I'd criticise a lot of these organised charity rides for a lack of transparency, but not simply for having a paid organiser.

Surely that depends on whether the amount paid to the organisers above the costs to you is worth more than the time you'd spend?

I'd criticise a lot of these organised charity rides for a lack of transparency, but not simply for having a paid organiser.

Generally there is a registration fee £50 - £150 payable by you, then if you pay yourself there will be a payment option around £800
If you do it through sponsorship there is still the £150 but you have to guarantee to raise £1500 + of which the organisors will take the 'payment option value'

Two things to consider,

1) would you value a 4 day cycle holiday at £1k + (after expense of getting to and from London + some meals + expenses) if you are paying it out of your own pocket?

2) Do you think the first 160 people that sponsor you for £5 realise that their entire donation will be going to fund your 'holiday' if you take the sponsor option?

Just break the costs down, what you are getting,

£30 ferry crossing
B&B and a meal out at night, bit of lunch £50 - £100 x 4
Train from Paris to Calais £50?

Ok so you get support, if you need it then fine, but its not exactly outer mongolia is it? I found cycling in France that if I stopped at any time for any reason at the side of the road or an a track another cyclist would stop and enquire if everything was ok, regardless of nationality.

+ the OP is talking about it being their summer holiday, if in a relationship then take the partner as your support and enjoy a romantic break in Paris at the end of it for roughly the same price as the organised tour. Or take longer and cycle back. If willing to take a pannier or two you could tour for a month on that budget.

U

User33236

...... 2) Do you think the first 160 people that sponsor you for £5 realise that their entire donation will be going to fund your 'holiday' if you take the sponsor option?
Exactly the reason I chose to pay my own way and not do it via a company / charity who requires sponsorship.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
DIY

The money you (or the charity) end up paying the organisers is better going to the charity,
I also did lejog but with discover adventure who charged £2000 for a fortnight. That's 12 nights accommodation with full all you can eat breakfast. Morning tea, all you can eat, lunch, all you can eat, 3 course dinner, all transfers, tee shirt, route notes, maps, movement of kit too each location, movement of bags to stops along the route (for emergency clothes...perfect in the wet) shopping trips (if you needed kit or spares) and motivation.

The accomidation ranged from stately homes to premier inn's and at one stop in Scotland we had a 5 star spa hotel with pools and hot tubs. Accommodation alone would have cost around £1000 at the level we were offered

I think it works out pretty well.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Perfect thanks, I did have a search but alot of threads were talking about route which I don't need to think about if it's organised. Was looking at action adventure also so again thanks for recommendation. It's something I've always wanted to do so I'll just miss out on a beach summer holiday for a year and do this instead. Will check out your thread.
Hope it helps.

Without wanting to self promote, I did a longer ride with Discover Adventure that might give an even better idea of their service.
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/lands-end-to-john-ogroats.155855/

T4tomo

Guru
I also did lejog but with discover adventure who charged £2000 for a fortnight. That's 12 nights accommodation with full all you can eat breakfast. Morning tea, all you can eat, lunch, all you can eat, 3 course dinner, all transfers, tee shirt, route notes, maps, movement of kit too each location, movement of bags to stops along the route (for emergency clothes...perfect in the wet) shopping trips (if you needed kit or spares) and motivation.

The accomidation ranged from stately homes to premier inn's and at one stop in Scotland we had a 5 star spa hotel with pools and hot tubs. Accommodation alone would have cost around £1000 at the level we were offered

Yes at £166 for all food and decent accom support and bag transport etc that's pretty decent, economies of scale at work. You could do it cheaper solo, but would be resorting to tents etc.

That's fine if you are looking to spend a lot of cash on a 'luxuary' cycling experience with all the peripheral effort removed, not so fine if it is the charity, or rather your sponsors that think the money is for charity is paying. The OP did not give the impression that they where of the landed gentry and that £1k was a wedge of cash, and asked for alternative suggestions. For a 4 day jaunt London to Paris then imo DIY is a very feasible alternative even for a touring novice and they could have a luxuary trip for a lot less, Shops, restaurants etc are not hard to find in France.

vickster

Legendary Member
She does suggests she needs (or perhaps thinks she needs) the support offered by an organised trip and says she only wants to do a fully funded option

Can you self organise with some colleagues or friends? Are you expecting your sponsors to cover your costs too (is that what fully funded means) which seems unusual unless your company is covering (some of) those? If not, what's your total budget for your expenses?

Last edited:
Top Bottom