Has anyone done a London to Paris?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
Could you convince your dad, I seem to recall mentioning that you wanted to give him something to aim for. It would be an awesome adventure.

I think a ride of this distance would finish him off, it's a lovely idea but I think I'll try something shorter with him if I can get him out on his bike that is!

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I think a ride of this distance would finish him off, it's a lovely idea but I think I'll try something shorter with him if I can get him out on his bike that is!
Would he enjoy driving support for you, perhaps on a motorcycle to carry clothes and food.

Also, ignore the guff on this thread about about charity, its perfectly feasible to ensure that everything you raise goes to your cause, without having to whip yourself with a birch twig the whole way there.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Those criticising the likes of Just Giving and people who use the sponsorship money to fund the trips should ask themselves this, 'would the charity get as much money if they did not use these services?' The answer is usually 'no'.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Those criticising the likes of Just Giving and people who use the sponsorship money to fund the trips should ask themselves this, 'would the charity get as much money if they did not use these services?' The answer is usually 'no'.
And should also keep in mind that most riders pay a heavy initial contribution that all but covers the cost in the first place, whilst letting the tax man sweep up the difference and the cost of using a donation site.

But yes , thanks I agree. Anyone devoting time to help others should not have to feel guilty for doing so, even if they should choose to allow charitable funds to help. Good for them.

And should also keep in mind that most riders pay a heavy initial contribution that all but covers the cost in the first place, whilst letting the tax man sweep up the difference and the cost of using a donation site.

Sorry but this is wrong and completely miss leading. The registration fee is typically 15% of the total cost and hmrc only return the nominal tax rate so in most cases 20%, which is intended for the charity in any case.

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
Thanks for all the input everyone.

I've decided to make it even more interesting (and also slightly cheaper but that's not the main reason) and take part in a 24hour challenge. From London to Paris.

I've taken part in 100 mile rides before and always felt strong after completing in about 6-7 hours so I feel like this is a challenge that with a bit more training and paying attention to what I'm eating/drinking before and during I could undertake.

Anyone done one of those? Will it be alot tougher than I'm expecting? Any words of wisdom?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Anyone done one of those? Will it be alot tougher than I'm expecting? Any words of wisdom?
Not I. Yes. You're :crazy: and good luck!

MichaelO

Veteran

I've decided to make it even more interesting (and also slightly cheaper but that's not the main reason) and take part in a 24hour challenge. From London to Paris.

I've taken part in 100 mile rides before and always felt strong after completing in about 6-7 hours so I feel like this is a challenge that with a bit more training and paying attention to what I'm eating/drinking before and during I could undertake.

I cycled from Surrey to Paris and back, leaving Friday early morning and getting home Sunday late afternoon (July this year) - Saturday lunch in Paris. We didn't take the quickest route, and were stopped at hotels from 7pm to 7am both nights. So 24 hours is certainly do-able.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Route planning is unnecessary as its already been done by many and published. Your only decision is how far to ride each day, then book some accommodation. Trivial in the age of the Internet.

martint235

Dog on a bike

It all depends on what you're expecting. There is, ime, a bigger leap from 100 to 200 miles than from 0 to 100 miles. I also find it gets progressively tougher after 200 miles.

However that said, having done a very quick and dirty Google maps how do I get from here to here, it looks like around 250 miles. Do a couple of 150 milers to find out what your eating requirements are (mine used to be every 100 miles but have changed to every 50 - 60 miles) and then crack on.

Good luck.

oldroadman

Veteran
An interesting string. Why are people so exercised about having things organised for them so they just have to ride, and that the organisers reasonably expect to make some money in return for their efforts? Taking the example of the 21 people who raised £91,000, of which £44,000 went in organisational charges, it works out to £2095 each. So a decent profit in there, the charity still got £47,000, and presumably the riders enjoyed their event and had a great time, were looked after to a high standard. Does anyone realise how many people and how much organisation it takes when you account for all the bookings, ferries, support vehicles, and all the other bells and whistles?
The odd thing is that plenty of people pay anywhere up to £60 to ride a "sportive" on open roads, of up to God knows how many starters (600+?), which is simply a few feed stations, car parking, arrows, timing chips, and a support vehicle or two to pick up those who stop for any reason. Nobody complains (well not much) about excessive profits. Funny old world.

Top Bottom