Has anyone else noticed their bike growing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brock

You know the old 'did you know' about being slightly taller when you get up in the morning than in the evening? Well my bike feels perfect in the morning, but when I hop on it after a days work I sometimes feel that the reach is a bit long. I could do with a 'morning/night' dial to shorten the stem maybe. Anyone else noticed this phenomenon?

Maz

Guru
When I notice the reach is too long, it means I've had a heavy lunch!

yenrod

Yeah sometimes the tyres feel too hard then too soft ;) Yeah mine feels uite stretched upon starting then quite short in the cockpit dept upon thrashing it to kingdom come ! :smile:

col

Legendary Member
I read somewhere that when we get up in the morning,we are about half an inch taller than when we went to bed.Something to do with our spines relaxing,and as the day goes on,compressing,could be a factor possibly?

alfablue

Your intervetebral discs (rather like a tyre filed with jelly) compress under weight (whilst you are upright during the day). I think there are 23 of them (your sacral and coccyx bones are fused), so if they each compress just 0.5mm you have lost 11.5mm.

I usually find that upon getting on my bike it is a bit skittish and feels too tight, but after about 15mins it has smoothed out.

Part of it is me warming up and becoming more flexible
Part of it is really needing a 54cm frame not a 56cm

Top Bottom