Has anyone else noticed...

• Thread starter Deleted member 20519
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Alot of new ones are. VW cars have day lights although having driven one a fair few miles i did get annoyed at other drivers flashing me!

I have a SEAT (vw sub brand) which does not have auto lights. Lights must be turned on manually at all times including sidelights

Personally I always have sidelights on (obviously headlights on at night / low visibility) mainly because the dashboard is so dark it's the only way of being able to see the speedometer is to have lights on so it lights up!

Milo

Guru
It's because there are almost no Police on patrol on the roads now. The Police have realised that British drivers are pretty law-abiding on the whole and can be left to get on with it while the Police themselves cruise around using ANPR to pick up any driver with dodgy insurance or who is wanted for questioning. At the Tickled Trout exit off the M6 (Preston) there is a motorway Police station with a compound full of patrol cars, which I pass fairly often and I'll swear that the car park is almost full every time I drive past. There may be ten cars but only one or two gaps in the line.

The same as with dodgy lights, there's never been a better time to drive while drunk; you will certainly get away with it until you have an accident.
I worked at a town hall once and witnessed a kiddy crash his chicken chaser into the gates used to block off the high street at certain times of day. He then proceeded to attempt to do a runner. I thought this a bit cheeky frankly and the gates had only been recently repaired from somebody else doing the same thing. Thankfully we had a council meeting on and luckily there was a policeman who proceeded to call in the traffic police. It turns out that the whole county of Wiltshire only had two traffic cars on patrol that night. I think it was a Friday night as well.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It's a law-breaker's paradise on the roads. You will only get caught for speeding if you're stupid enought to miss a camera and for drink driving if you have an accident. You can cut up other drivers, drive with no tax, dodgy tyres and lights, illegal numberplates and obscured windows and get away with it for many months. Most people haven't realised this and are still driving well enough and responsibly.

simon.r

Person
Volkswagen daylight running lights can be switched off through the wotsit menu. I have mine off because I don't want to be mistaken for a muppet with fog lights switched on.

Not on mine they can't:sad: (New Golf). I've been through every item on the wotsit menu and it can't be done.

Edit - there may be a way around this -

green1

Über Member
FYI, motorcyclists are one of the reasons for the legislation for DRL's, and they're also one of the main reasons all new cars now have their side repeaters mounted on the door mirrors.
And DRL's could make it worse for cyclists of both varieties as it may lead to drivers not looking even more than they currently do as they just have a cursory glance for lights.

My understanding was that the law has changed (2 years ago) and all new vehicles have to have DRLs if they are for the Eurpoean market http://assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/dft-information-sheets/daytime-running-lights.pdf

Legislation and requirements:
Vehicle manufacturers must fit DRL to new types of passenger car and light goods vehicle (car derived vans) type approved to European vehicle requirements from February 20111. In practice this means that any new model launched after this date, and many launched before, will be fitted with DRL. However, existing models on sale before this date without DRL fitted can continue to be sold and used indefinitely.

Similar requirements will apply to large vehicles (such as HGVs) and buses from 7 August 2012. Motorcycles do not currently require DRL to be fitted, but most manufacturers voluntarily opt for an AHO (Automatic Headlight On) system to be installed as an alternative. Changes to European legislation will, in future permit manufacturers to fit DRL on their motorcycles.

DRL activate automatically when the engine is started and remain on unless the headlamps are switched on. They may however remain off in some low speed and stationary situations. In general all other lights should remain off when the DRL are on but for a limited period some vehicles may be available which automatically activate the rear position lamps at the same time as the DRL.

What I find more peculiar is the fact that my mother's new VW has daylight running lights at the front only...

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'm sure they can be turned off. Is there a convenience menu between the dials, controlled by the buttons on the steering wheel?

Try asking on vwforum.co.uk

simon.r

Person
I'm sure they can be turned off. Is there a convenience menu between the dials, controlled by the buttons on the steering wheel?

Try asking on vwforum.co.uk

Yes, there is, but definitely no option to turn off DRL's. It looks as if it can be done tho' (see my youtube link a few posts ago).

simon.r

Person
What I find more peculiar is the fact that my mother's new VW has daylight running lights at the front only...

I thought DRL's were always front only?

I thought DRL's were always front only?
not sure, they may well be - I was out of the country when the law changed and to be honest, I don't drive much now because I cycle everywhere (and can only afford 1 very old second hand car for my OH) and have taken little notice in the change in traffic laws. What I have seen is an increase in vehicles with no rear lights working, but both front lights which to me just looks odd and they have often been new vehicles.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Worst 'feature' in modern cars: The slider that adjusts the height of the headlights to compensate for the number of people on board. Just turn it up to max to dazzle on coming traffic, or on a motorway, to glare out the rear view mirror from half a mile behind.

I always thought the control you are talking about worked the opposite way? i.e. When the car is loaded up, the nose of the car would tend to point upwards, and the headlight beam along with it thereby dazzling oncoming traffic. The adjuster switch should be at "zero" when the car is unloaded, and set to whatever setting adjusts the lights downwards sufficiently when the car is loaded. Therefore turning the adjuster up lowers the headlight beam and should REDUCE glare as the beam is pointing lower. That's how it works on my current car (Toyota), all the Skoda taxis that I drive, and several VW's I have owned over the years.

If you are being dazzled by oncoming cars, maybe they are driving on full beam, rather than dipped? That's another annoying habit that seems to go unpunished.

Top Bottom