Has anyone ever done plastering?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mile195

Veteran
And now for a completely off-topic question...

My home came with horrible polystyrene tiles on the ceiling of every room, as well as wooden panelling in the kitchen. I'm sure that both looked fab in the 1960's, but now they're just a fire hazard!

I know the ceiling and the walls underneath them will be a mess when I take them off.

Everyone says plastering is hard, but youtube videos don't make it look that terrible.

Anyone ever done it? Is it as hard as they say? Any horror stories?

Thanks all in advance...

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
You could always Artex the ceiling for a more up to date look. :whistle:

Reactions: GM
OP
OP
Mile195

Mile195

Veteran
It's frustrating but quite satisfying when you get it something near right. If you're insistent on not getting someone in to do it, make sure your mix is spot on and take your time.
Thanks! What happens if it's not? Does it just crumble as soon as it dries?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Thanks! What happens if it's not? Does it just crumble as soon as it dries?
It just refuses to stick in the first place.

cd365

Guru
And now for a completely off-topic question...

My home came with horrible polystyrene tiles on the ceiling of every room, as well as wooden panelling in the kitchen. I'm sure that both looked fab in the 1960's, but now they're just a fire hazard!

I know the ceiling and the walls underneath them will be a mess when I take them off.

Everyone says plastering is hard, but youtube videos don't make it look that terrible.

Anyone ever done it? Is it as hard as they say? Any horror stories?

Thanks all in advance...
I did a £200 course, it's not as hard as some people make out but I wouldn't just give it a go. Find a local course, do it and then crack on at home, will save you a fortune in the long term.
I also did a plumbing course, that has came in handy many times!

Top Bottom