Has anyone ever done plastering?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

asterix

Comrade Member
so for the amount you've shelled out good quality tools, etc, you could have got a professional in ;)

Nah, seriously though, it's something to consider. There's some jobs I'd take to the LBS purely because I don't have, and don't want to buy, the proper tools. One-off jobs, or stuff you do rarely etc.

But of course. It is for the OP to decide. I am merely passing such knowledge as I have about plastering. In my case I have saved a large sum of money and will save a good deal more. A £100 ceiling takes me a short morning. What's more the work is good enough to satisfy the critical eye of the boss!

I used to regard plastering as a dark art beyond my capabilities,now I know it isn't.

yello

I think if it was a one off job, then calling in a pro would be the way. If there are lots of rooms to do, a course and tools start to pay off. And of course, it's not just financial, there's the satisfaction of doing the job.

Agreed, generally speaking. Though if I wanted to do a one-off task then I might, if it interested me enough.

Given the variety of work there is to do around our place (and I don't take on that much of it in honesty, certainly not as much as asterix does at his place for instance), I can really pick and choose my tasks. And, of course, there's a number of deciding factors - 'one off' task being but one. Cost of getting the necessary equipment another. But the prime motivating ones are 'do I want to have a go?' and 'can I make a decent job of it'. The latter being a judgement call, and there's a bit of a balancing act between the two.

But I have another odd one. Certain equipment, I will not buy. No way, never. A concrete mixer is one such, for instance. I don't mind hand mixing where I need small amounts, or even ordering in for large amounts, but I will not undertake a job that would require me to buy one! I know, I'm an odd bugger but it's my line in the sand! If I cross it, I've become something I didn't come to France to be! :laugh:

OP
OP
Mile195

Mile195

Veteran
Thanks all for your advice.

Well, I have a little bit in the kitchen to do. Literally quarter of a smallish wall (since the rest will have cupboards or tiles in front of it). So I might use that for practice and see how it goes.

General consensus for ceilings seems to be that they are not for beginners. I like the idea of using tapered plasterboard then just filling the gaps. I think that may be a way forward there!

So thanks again all. Watch this space for photos of my utterly dreadful, I mean, stunningly glorious work...

Night Train

Maker of Things
Thanks all for your advice.

Well, I have a little bit in the kitchen to do. Literally quarter of a smallish wall (since the rest will have cupboards or tiles in front of it). So I might use that for practice and see how it goes.

General consensus for ceilings seems to be that they are not for beginners. I like the idea of using tapered plasterboard then just filling the gaps. I think that may be a way forward there!

So thanks again all. Watch this space for photos of my utterly dreadful, I mean, stunningly glorious work...
Use a long straight edge to check that you are creating a flat wall. Any marks you might make will float out once it is flatish but the check will let you know how well you are 'feeling' the surface with the float as you go. It can be easy to produce smooth humps or hollows as your arm follows an arc from your shoulder.

For the taper edge plaster boards, don't forget that the taper is only on the two long edges of the board and not the short ends, or cut edges.

Do you know how to cut plaster board?

OP
OP
Mile195

Mile195

Veteran
Use a long straight edge to check that you are creating a flat wall. Any marks you might make will float out once it is flatish but the check will let you know how well you are 'feeling' the surface with the float as you go. It can be easy to produce smooth humps or hollows as your arm follows an arc from your shoulder.

For the taper edge plaster boards, don't forget that the taper is only on the two long edges of the board and not the short ends, or cut edges.

Do you know how to cut plaster board?

Errr... no. I hadn't really thought that far ahead yet. Now you've mentioned it, Maybe youtube will be able to tell me if there's actually a knack to it?

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
It's one of those jobs that I'm quite happy to pay a professional to do. They've the experience, the equipment and the ability. More importantly, they can get a decent finish. If you watch a good plasterer at work, you realise just how physical the work can be too.

I do some bits of DIY around our place, and loads of work in the garden, but anything that's important and needs to be right then I call a tradesman in.

Agreed.

I've been in a number of homes over the years where an amateur has done a 'brilliant job' and they all look absolute rubbish. Some looked ok-ish in daylight but when evening comes and the lights go on they look a complete dogs dinner. One of those things that saves a few bob on the day but costs you because it looks rubbish when you come to sell.

Watch a really good plasterer renew a ceiling and you will not even entertain it. We had our lounge walls skimmed and the ghastly artex ceiling re-boarded and skimmed 3 years ago and it is stunning, dead flat, glass smooth and looks superb. Not in a million years could I get anywhere close. Filthy, heavy job (esp' getting the boards up onto the ceiling) and for the sake of £800 it was a job I was happy to give a miss.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Errr... no. I hadn't really thought that far ahead yet. Now you've mentioned it, Maybe youtube will be able to tell me if there's actually a knack to it?
Measure and mark your plasterboard where you want the cut.
Place a straight edge on your mark and score deeply through the paper facing of the board with a Stanley knife.
Snap the board back along the score line so the core is broken and the board is hinged along the paper on the back.
With the board folded back about 90deg slice through the back paper from behind to separate the two parts of the board.

For fiddly shapes and notches you can cut the board by sawing with an old hacksaw or fine toothed wood saw. Be careful with wood saws though as they can tear the paper off on the back side of the cut, especially if the teeth are coarse.

asterix

Comrade Member
Agreed.

I've been in a number of homes over the years where an amateur has done a 'brilliant job' and they all look absolute rubbish. Some looked ok-ish in daylight but when evening comes and the lights go on they look a complete dogs dinner. One of those things that saves a few bob on the day but costs you because it looks rubbish when you come to sell.

Watch a really good plasterer renew a ceiling and you will not even entertain it. We had our lounge walls skimmed and the ghastly artex ceiling re-boarded and skimmed 3 years ago and it is stunning, dead flat, glass smooth and looks superb. Not in a million years could I get anywhere close. Filthy, heavy job (esp' getting the boards up onto the ceiling) and for the sake of £800 it was a job I was happy to give a miss.

Note to the OP. If you have to re-board the ceiling, borrow or hire a mechanical plasterboard lifter:

th

Simple to use and makes it a doddle.

Berties

Fast and careful!
I have always done the donkey work of plaster boarding ,taping joints,putting edges on ,even the scratch render coat but leave the finishing skim to the plasterer ,it goes off at the wrong time if I do plastering and I have to spend to much on sand paper

asterix

Comrade Member
Leave it to the pros ... skimming/plaster boarding a ceiling is difficult 1

1 You have to find the joist to nail/screw to
2 You need the correct length of fixings
3 Skim and gravity do nt mix
Iam a joiner !

Nah ceilings are a doddle compared to over stairs and over bath stuff.

Was a complete hamachure when I started this:

D40-emptybarnandchickens_zps3bbde372.jpg

Have now got to this. All my own work - the cat's been no help at all.

P1030203_zpsece4ae30.jpg

Nah ceilings are a doddle compared to over stairs and over bath stuff.

Was a complete hamachure when I started this:

D40-emptybarnandchickens_zps3bbde372.jpg

Have now got to this. All my own work - the cat's been no help at all.

P1030203_zpsece4ae30.jpg
Just looks like a normal barn refurb ! I have done over 20 of them in 28 years of joinery: mile 195 is a complete novice at plaster boarding !

Globalti

Legendary Member
I don't mind trying most DIY jobs but plastering is one dark art I've always shied away from. Having spent a week mixing and serving up for the bloke who got the job of re-skimming all the disgusting textured ceilings in our house, I know that it's a strenuous job that requires experience and speed; once started you have to keep moving as the plaster goes off. You need the mixer, the plastic buckets, somewhere to mix up, the trestles and the boards, brushes, float.... definitely a job for the professionals.

Top Bottom