Has anyone noticed yet, the increase in their weekly shop?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi.
Whilst getting my weekly food shopping done today I couldn't help but notice how prices are slowly increasing compared to last week.At Lidl today many of the lines have seemed to of jumped up in price. The simple basics like margarine , sandwich fillers ect that where around a £1 have shot up by around 25 pence.It all adds up when you've filled the trolley up.
At this rate I'll be digging the lawn up and growing my own veg

classic33

Leg End Member
Started last year, along with sizes getting smaller and no visible price increase showing on the shelves.

Joffey

Big Dosser
Hi.
Whilst getting my weekly food shopping done today I couldn't help but notice how prices are slowly increasing compared to last week.At Lidl today many of the lines have seemed to of jumped up in price. The simple basics like margarine , sandwich fillers ect that where around a £1 have shot up by around 25 pence.It all adds up when you've filled the trolley up.
At this rate I'll be digging the lawn up and growing my own veg

Been noticing the prices go up for a while now. Pretty much since Brexit 'got done'.

Big John

Guru
Since packing in work at the end of Feb 2020 I've become the trolley pusher for the wife at the weekly shop. Since then I've become very savvy with the prices that we pay for the regular stuff on our list. Some items have risen in price but a surprising amount have remained constant. However, my eagle eyed missus has spotted that weights and quantities have been diminishing. Crafty buggers. You pay the same but you in fact get less for your money.

I yellow sticker a lot, so any increases aren't biting quite as hard as they might otherwise.

What has really shot up recently though is wet cat food. Last year this time, a box of 12 pouches of Felix AGAIL could be had for £3.25 in Wilko. Now it's £4 a box wherever I look, including on Zooplus.

gbb

Legendary Member
its inevitable, the pressures on the supplying industries have been immense.
Transport, its acute out there, lack of drivers, wages going up...its got to be paid for.
Food industry workers have been squeezed for decades, thats changing because there's no pool of (previously) never ending cheap labour. My employers are paying double time, unheard of for decades, to get guys to cover extra shifts...its got to be paid for.
Container cost increases.
Covid, shortages of materials as a result.
I suspect we've lived through a period of cheap, plentiful, choice filled food without appreciating what got us that...

gbb

Legendary Member
Same here - price increases on pretty much everything.
Hoping for an interest rate rise to curb things - at least I might gain something on my dwindling savings back there.
I mourn the fact years ago we got fair interest on our savings, if those days came back, as a lifelong saver who hasn't had any reward for 20 years....im afraid I'd be laughing if it came back.

vickster

Legendary Member
Milk has certainly gone up (£1.30 for 4 pints in Sainsbury's local, I think £1.15 in Asda/Tesco, versus £1/1.05), but I think it's probably been overly cheap for years!

Higher fuel prices will be contributing too

vickster

Legendary Member

byegad

Legendary Member
We have been shopping online, Ocado, Tesco and occasionally Asda since Lady Byegad came out of hospital in January 2020. So I'm au fait with our totals for our weekly shop.
I'd say we are now closer to a 10% rise than 5% since then.

Reactions: gbb

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I feel I'm aware prices are rising but couldn't say if our weekly shop has increased significantly. I'm more aware of the lack of or low availability of a wide range of products. Tesco seem to be very badly hit by this.

Fuel is the item I really notice. Before I retired filling my company Qashqai with diesel was always £70+ for around 60 litres. Last week I paid £70 to fill my Hyundai i30 with less than 50 litres of petrol.

The restaurant we're going to for our Wedding Anniversary tomorrow increased prices by 20% on October 1st. Still worth every penny and I wouldn't begrudge it.

Top Bottom