Has anyone repurposed an empty fire extinguisher into a tubeless inflater tank?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been riding tubeless for almost 5 years now and won't have a word said against it!
In that time I've had a few punctures that I am aware of sealed by the sealant and 2 where I had to use worms.
The first time worked perfectly on a hole in the tread and stayed there until the tyre needed replacing (which is the way tubeless should operate), the second was when I hit a piece of sharp metal which put a hole in the sidewall and took three large worms to seal enough to get me home, at about 30psi with a few stops to put air in. I then binned the tyre.
In my opinion I would have needed a tyre boot as well as an inner tube if I was using inner tubes and still binned the tyre!

What is a tyre boot, I've not come across that term?

YellowV2

Veteran
A tyre boot is a form of repair to the inside of a tyre normally temporary to get you home. It can be anything that would succeed in preventing the inner tube pushing through the tyre.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A tyre boot is a form of repair to the inside of a tyre normally temporary to get you home. It can be anything that would succeed in preventing the inner tube pushing through the tyre.

I carry a piece of cardboard with a length of duct tape wrapped round it. I used some of the tape to do such a repair on the Humber Bridge forum ride last year after one rider had a tube explode through a gash in a tyre. The repair held while we rode over 12 miles to a bike shop to buy a new tyre.

Since then I have also been carrying strips cut from an old tyre. If it happened again I think that I would use a length of duct tape to hold one of those tyre strips over the hole [on the INSIDE of the tyre, obviously! :okay:].

Last edited:
Top Bottom