Has anyone repurposed an empty fire extinguisher into a tubeless inflater tank?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Looking at the price of off-the-shelf tanks got me thinking about council alternatives, before arriving at the idea of repurposing a fire extinguisher.

Unsurprisingly the internet had beaten me to it and this very much seems to be a legit and pretty straightforward process. Empty extinguishers seem to be next to worthless, however I'm currently having a job finding one locally.. I'm tempted to contact a local fire safety equipment supplier but am not sure whether they'd typically refurb old examples.

Has anyone else tried this? I'd be interested to know how you got on :smile:

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I made one about 6 or 7 years ago. It was fine, but I damaged the valve a few times so in the end bought a used off the shelf version which gets heavy use.

classic33

Leg End Member
Looking at the price of off-the-shelf tanks got me thinking about council alternatives, before arriving at the idea of repurposing a fire extinguisher.

Unsurprisingly the internet had beaten me to it and this very much seems to be a legit and pretty straightforward process. Empty extinguishers seem to be next to worthless, however I'm currently having a job finding one locally.. I'm tempted to contact a local fire safety equipment supplier but am not sure whether they'd typically refurb old examples.

Has anyone else tried this? I'd be interested to know how you got on :smile:
They may not refurb some. But they still have to get rid off any removed from buildings where they're supplying them to.

Worth a try at least

chriswoody

Legendary Member
How do you repressurize an empty fire extinguisher with air?

By attaching a Presta valve to the old fire extinguisher and then inflating it with a track pump.

1656695918836.png

https://www.pinkbike.com/u/bighitte...hetto-tubeless-inflator-for-less-than-15.html

I've not done it myself, I was tempted, but couldn't be bothered trying to work out how to source the old fire extinguisher parts and just bought a Schwalbe Air Booster, which is, in itself based on a Fire extinguisher body. It's a brilliant bit of kit that just works and pops my tires on with no fuss.

1656696078879.png

D

Deleted member 26715

With the current price of scrap metal I would have thought most companies will weigh them in for cash now. Few years ago that would give them away free.

Just use a Schweppes bottle, loads of tutorials on tinterweb. I used one, 140psi no problem - any higher and lid might pop off.i

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Thanks guys :smile:

I did consider using a pop bottle but it's a bit too pikey even for me and tbh I'd rather have something more sturdy.

I've not bothered any local companies yet, but have searches setup on FB and ebay although so far no luck with anything local.

I did have a look at an example of the seemingly more common 2kg variant of CO2 fire extinguishers; which are based on a Luxfer bottle with a test pressure of 212 bar (well in excess of the 10-12bar it would be used at) and a capacity of 3l. Potentially a bit big and ideally I reckon something at 1kg would be better (suggesting a capacity of around 1.5l, which is what the old Topeak setup used to be IIRC; which also used a Luxfer bottle). However stuff of this size seems less common.

I do also have access to various high-pressure diving type bottles, however these are less than ideal due to their valving and could quickly cost more than an off-the-shelf option were I to source the bits to make it work.

I guess for now I'll just keep an eye on what's available and maybe something suitable will drop into my lap..

Venod

Eh up
I have made one out of a pop bottle, still have it, it works fine, but I have a Milkit bottle which is a large aluminium water bottle with a valve, for some reason the designer thought a tapered neck was a good idea, and it tended to blow the track pump of when filling it with air, I have improved it and it now works fine.
The small fire extinguisher is an excellent idea and looks worth pursuing.

Lookrider

Used one fringe a 8L garden spray
Works perfect even for chunky mtb tyres
All you need to add is a quarter turn copper tube valve ...the tube inside the spray fits tightly over the wheel valve
Its get used in garden as well so not sn extra bit clutter around

Top Bottom