Has anyone repurposed an empty fire extinguisher into a tubeless inflater tank?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Looking at the price of off-the-shelf tanks got me thinking about council alternatives, before arriving at the idea of repurposing a fire extinguisher.

Unsurprisingly the internet had beaten me to it and this very much seems to be a legit and pretty straightforward process. Empty extinguishers seem to be next to worthless, however I'm currently having a job finding one locally.. I'm tempted to contact a local fire safety equipment supplier but am not sure whether they'd typically refurb old examples.

Has anyone else tried this? I'd be interested to know how you got on :smile:
Mine , however recently had to fix the valve as it gets hit and bends as not very stable lol . It’s my Mk1 design !
1657352309502.jpeg

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Forgot to add a photo
I can explain in detail if anyone interested in converting one ..

Yep I’m all ears !

Lookrider

From the top of the 8l volume tank remove grey nut with the black tube and you will have a clear dipstick tube inside the volume tank
Cut around 150mm from this ,,,,.

Reinstate the grey nut black tube on the volume tank

Cut the black tube off at the green nozzle end as the nozzle valve is a needle valve and will not let the air from the volume tank into the tyre fast enough

At black tube end put 15mm nut over tube
Push in 8mm insert ( steel or metal ) you may need to put tube in hit water to soften
Place crush washer in correct way
Tighten up against valve
Repeat the other side of valve

That's it
Mine has been modified to use as tyre setter and garden spray...but that's a bit more work

Attachments

• 20220709_183220.jpg
    20220709_183220.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Cheers all :smile:
I have made one out of a pop bottle, still have it, it works fine, but I have a Milkit bottle which is a large aluminium water bottle with a valve, for some reason the designer thought a tapered neck was a good idea, and it tended to blow the track pump of when filling it with air, I have improved it and it now works fine.
The small fire extinguisher is an excellent idea and looks worth pursuing.
That looks like a really nice idea (love the versatility they've built in) however I agree that the inlet looks like a bit of a nightmare :sad:

Used one fringe a 8L garden spray
Works perfect even for chunky mtb tyres
All you need to add is a quarter turn copper tube valve ...the tube inside the spray fits tightly over the wheel valve
Its get used in garden as well so not sn extra bit clutter around
Thanks - that looks like a great idea and I have one of these; however it's currently full of woodworm treatment and I'm not sure my tyres would like that :tongue:

Mine , however recently had to fix the valve as it gets hit and bends as not very stable lol . It’s my Mk1 design !
View attachment 652028
Nice work; although I think I'd prefer to leave the vessel intact and add the valve to the body at the top.

From the top of the 8l volume tank remove grey nut with the black tube and you will have a clear dipstick tube inside the volume tank
Cut around 150mm from this ,,,,.

Reinstate the grey nut black tube on the volume tank

Cut the black tube off at the green nozzle end as the nozzle valve is a needle valve and will not let the air from the volume tank into the tyre fast enough

At black tube end put 15mm nut over tube
Push in 8mm insert ( steel or metal ) you may need to put tube in hit water to soften
Place crush washer in correct way
Tighten up against valve
Repeat the other side of valve

That's it
Mine has been modified to use as tyre setter and garden spray...but that's a bit more work
Cheers - I bet 8l takes a while to fill - is it easy enough to control the flow to stop the tyre getting over-inflated once it's on the rim?

So.. I've still had no luck in sourcing a fire extinguisher, however did find this discarded on the side of the road earlier:

SMALL_IMG_5361a.jpg

SMALL_IMG_5362a.jpg

SMALL_IMG_5365a.jpg

SMALL_IMG_5359a.jpg

I assume courtesy of some local yoofs in a Vauxhall Corsa with a farty exhaust; as all the cool kids seem to be interested in aerated dairy-based deserts currently :whistle:

It's ally, 0.95l, and rated to 30bar working pressure / 165bar test pressure - so should be perfectly adequate for my uses :smile:
Irritatingly while the fitting initally looks a lot like the ubiquitous 1/8" BSP, turns out it's M11x1.0 - very odd but probably intentionally so.

The thread in the bottle neck is a more conventional M10x1.0 and male-male adaptors are available to convert this to BSP; they're a bit shorter than I'd like since they're going into ally but at these pressures I think there's still a good factor of safety.

For now the plan is to see if I can lash together something using standard fittings, depending on what I can find on the net.. :smile:

Last edited:

Lookrider

That looks like a really nice idea (love the versatility they've built in) however I agree that the inlet looks like a bit of a nightmare :sad:

Thanks - that looks like a great idea and I have one of these; however it's currently full of woodworm treatment and I'm not sure my tyres would like that :tongue:

Nice work; although I think I'd prefer to leave the vessel intact and add the valve to the body at the top.

Cheers - I bet 8l takes a while to fill - is it easy enough to

the flow to stop the tyre getting over-inflated once it's on the rim?

So.. I've still had no luck in sourcing a fire extinguisher, however did find this discarded on the side of the road earlier:

View attachment 652796

View attachment 652797

View attachment 652798

View attachment 652799

I assume courtesy of some local yoofs in a Vauxhall Corsa with a farty exhaust; as all the cool kids seem to be interested in aerated dairy-based deserts currently :whistle:

It's ally, 0.95l, and rated to 30bar working pressure / 165bar test pressure - so should be perfectly adequate for my uses :smile:
Irritatingly while the fitting initally looks a lot like the ubiquitous 1/8" BSP, turns out it's M11x1.0 - very odd but probably intentionally so.

The thread in the bottle neck is a more conventional M10x1.0 and male-male adaptors are available to convert this to BSP; they're a bit shorter than I'd like since they're going into ally but at these pressures I think there's still a good factor of safety.

For now the plan is to see if I can lash together something using standard fittings, depending on what I can find on the net..

Cheers - I bet 8l takes a while to fill - is it easy enough to control the flow to stop the tyre getting over-inflated once it's on the rim?

View attachment 652796

View attachment 652797

View attachment 652798

View attachment 652799

For now the plan is to see if I can lash together something using standard fittings, depending on what I can find on the net.. :smile:

The quarter turn valve allows you to control the flow as much as you want
However the idea is to whack it open to get the big blast into the tyres
You do have to pump it up till the relief valve leaks out at top ...not that long to get upto pressure and I've no idea how much it is in comparison to pumping up a fire extinguisher with a track pump

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
The quarter turn valve allows you to control the flow as much as you want
However the idea is to whack it open to get the big blast into the tyres
You do have to pump it up till the relief valve leaks out at top ...not that long to get upto pressure and I've no idea how much it is in comparison to pumping up a fire extinguisher with a track pump
Thanks - I just wondered if there was a danger of over-inflating the tyre once it'd sealed given the capacity, however it might be mitigated by a lower pressure compared to other solutions. It'd be interesting to know what sort of pressure they can produce :smile:

View attachment 652924

I have an empty 1kg if you want it. Pop me your address by pm and I'll send it off to you.
Thanks - that's very generous of you - will drop you a PM tomorrow :smile:

If you are away on a trip the shop bought bike ones double up as water bottles. Would not want to lug about a fire extinguisher bottle or one of the tubeless track pumps.
Cheers; hadn't thought of the practicalities of needing something whilst out; although I guess worst-case you can always bang an emergency tube in so all's not lost :smile:

figbat

Slippery scientist
Cheers; hadn't thought of the practicalities of needing something whilst out; although I guess worst-case you can always bang an emergency tube in so all's not lost :smile:
Don’t underestimate how tricky it can be to “bang an emergency tube in”. Firstly it’s a very messy situation with tubeless sealant everywhere which will coat your hands and anything you touch; have hand cleaning options available. Next, you need a way to remove the tubeless valve - they often don’t just push out and need some pliers or similar to remove them. Finally you’ll need to check the whole tyre carefully for any embedded thorns or flints that would puncture your emergency tube - again remembering that the tyre is covered in gunk as you do this.

I will always try to fix the problem in situ before attempting to put a tube in; I’ve not yet had a problem that a sticky worm didn’t fix. CO2 canisters are a good option for quick inflation on-the-trail.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Thanks - I just wondered if there was a danger of over-inflating the tyre once it'd sealed given the capacity, however it might be mitigated by a lower pressure compared to other solutions. It'd be interesting to know what sort of pressure they can produce

What you need to remember is that all you are doing is seating the bead of the tire into the rim. Weather you use a homemade solution or a commercially bought tank, you are still dumping the best part of 130 psi straight into the tire, most of which will escape during the process. Once the bead has popped on with a reassuring crack, you then deflate the tire again when you remove the connection to the valve. If the whole operation has been successful then the tire will remain fully seated on the wheel. So the danger of over inflating the tire is a completely non existent one.

As @figbat mentions above, not only is it a messy affair popping a tube into a tubeless set up, but you are also going to struggle like hell to remove the tire in the first place. My first set of tires that I set up tubeless stayed in place on the rim for their entire two year life span. When I finally came to remove them I had to get pretty medieval to get them off with a bunch of workshop tools that you could never carry on the trail. So I really wouldn't worry about re-seating them whilst out. In over three years of tubeless riding on some pretty full on off-roading, I've yet too have a deflation through a puncture. When I go bikepacking on multi day trips in remote locations, I only take a small Lezyne handpump and some tubeless worms, that all.

Top Bottom