Has anyone saved your life...other than doctors?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Nope
saved mrs ck 2 times when she had mini strokes

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I don't know if it saved my life, but a doctor*** certainly saved my skin...

I was a toddler pestering my busy mum in the kitchen. There was a knock at the door from a GP making a house visit. Mum went to let him in, and that was enough time for me to reach up to a pan of boiling water and pull it down over my head. Apparently, the doctor ran to me and had me immersed in cold water in the kitchen sink in seconds. He had reacted so quickly that I didn't suffer any serious scalds. That could have had a very different outcome!

*** It wasn't a medical intervention so the fact that a doctor did it isn't really an issue here. It could equally well have been the milkman or postman!

Punkawallah

Über Member
Whoever invented the hydraulic brakes on the Boardman hybrid. Car driver decides to turn right -through- me at a junction. Anchors on, the bike literally bounced it stopped that quick, missed the car by inches.

presta

Guru
I choked on a boiled sweet when I was little, so my father grabbed me by the ankle, dangled me upside down, and thumped me on the back.

postman

Legendary Member
Some might not like this,but it's the truth from me.Jesus,simple as that.So that might just close this thread.i was going through a divorce,i was drinking heavily,Guinness with whisky chasers was my poison,falling down drunk.i could not see a happy future,and i thought of ways of doing the task.My choice was hanging.I had a plan to start off with the rope around my neck,then slowly drink myself to oblivion falling off a tree branch during the night.i had it all planned,i would not feel a think being so drunk.But one day after work an idea came ,go to church,i did, i had more than one encounter and thought over fourteen months of learning there is something in this.So during a highly charged service one evening i walked forward,i explained the state i was in it was then during prayer i asked for Jesus to save me.1988 that was and i am still here married to Mrs P two fab kids and happy.Yes Jesus saved me.

Punkawallah

Über Member
Some might not like this,but it's the truth from me.Jesus,simple as that.So that might just close this thread.i was going through a divorce,i was drinking heavily,Guinness with whisky chasers was my poison,falling down drunk.i could not see a happy future,and i thought of ways of doing the task.My choice was hanging.I had a plan to start off with the rope around my neck,then slowly drink myself to oblivion falling off a tree branch during the night.i had it all planned,i would not feel a think being so drunk.But one day after work an idea came ,go to church,i did, i had more than one encounter and thought over fourteen months of learning there is something in this.So during a highly charged service one evening i walked forward,i explained the state i was in it was then during prayer i asked for Jesus to save me.1988 that was and i am still here married to Mrs P two fab kids and happy.Yes Jesus saved me.

Whalp. Definitely not a doctor, then :-)

Gillstay

Über Member
Rode large motorbike stupidly fast to impress a girl I was lusting after, and overtook a petrol tanker that I had not noticed was turning right.
As I was alongside I realised my mistake and thought `this is it', but the driver double checked his mirror, then stopped dead half way through his turn.
I got past with a a swerve, went up the road, then turned back and went to thank him.
I was shamefaced and he was decent, but I really got to think about how it could have gone and I improved my driving from then on.

Aescott

Someone who is now a very close friend. A guy I knew slightly and I started a regular commute by train to Edinburgh from Glasgow. Only to be polite, we started chatting and, after a few weeks, decided to go for a beer and curry.

The friendship developed - but what saved my life was realising that I really wanted the respect of this guy. Ex PT instructor in the Marines and still exceptionally fit in his 60s, putting himself through punishing schedules each day which would floor many half his age. I looked at myself and thought he’d “invite” me to a gym session and I was as unfit as anything - no exercise and very overweight. I started to take my health a lot more seriously, started regular exercise and lost a lot of weight. The cycling came later.

So - he didn’t do the Heimlich manoeuvre on me or anything like that, but trying to gain his respect has added years to my life and reduced my risk of heart attack, stroke etc.

Top Bottom