Has audax in the UK changed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Last couple of Audaxes I've done: Spring UpperTea 100 and the Dorset Coast 200, there were a LOT of steel bikes. More than I can remember seeing last year. Many of them newish looking examples from the independent frame builders.

Yello, if you don't mind my saying so your avatar is looking a bit worn out and faded. Maybe a new and brighter one would raise your spirits?

(My avatar is of a Pyrenean mountain dog that looked cheerful even though it was windy, raining and cold and the sheep looked like worn out dish-mops).

Ha ha! If you're not demoralised by the Audax scene, Andrew, your crappy avatar will offer you no solace! :rofl:

Only joking - this is a nice thread and interesting read. Well done - I like the bit about wanting 'to see the Loire over Krylion' :smile:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Demoralized? you should be pleased that audaxing is growing and younger people are taking part.

I have only done 3 audaxes all recently seemed about 50/50 traditional looking audax bikes to more modern road bikes on the ones I did.Except the very hilly Rhonnda Traverse where modern bikes were much more popular.

I think with the growing popularity of cycling recently a lot of people (like me) went out and bought bikes without too much idea of what they intended doing with them. I just intended commuting and a bit of solitary fitness riding.My lightweight aluminium Road racer is perfectly adequate for me for now so I wouldnt want/cant afford to buy another bike just for audaxing.

As people take up Sportive riding/ touring/ audaxing I guess there second bike purchase will be more specific to the type of riding they have drifted into.

OP
OP
Y

yello

Demoralized? you should be pleased that audaxing is growing and younger people are taking part.

"Should" I? I'll feel as I do if you don't mind!

Nah, it's nothing to do with age or popularity. If more/younger riders leads to greater selection of rides then I'll be all for it. So lets not turn this into a beards v carbon debate... because I have neither!!

My vague feelings of demoralisation/alienation came, I suspect, from the difference between the scene here and in the UK. As it happens, I suspect the scene isn't growing in France (not like in the UK anyway) and I suspect the age of riders isn't changing. I reckon Ian H nailed when he mentioned the difference in approach, and it being like a club ride. I'm thinking of doing my 400 with another organiser (further to travel but not too much more) just to see if that's different.

Re my avatar, blame Robbie! Next time he pops a wheelie at the end of a mountain stage, he ought make sure it's not foggy!

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
""Should" I? I'll feel as I do if you don't mind! "

Yeah sorry I worded that badly but I think you got my idea.

trio25

Über Member
I ride a carbon bike when I ride Audaxes, it's what I got before I even heard of Audax. But I see plently of steel bikes around. Over here there seems room for everyone. I did a recent 150km on my fixie (so alu) I stayed with the fast group for the first hour or so before dropping off and riding on my own. I knew there were others behind me though I never saw them on the ride as they were at the start.

Maybe it was just that particular Audax?

vorsprung

Veteran
I too rode an 300 at the weekend, The Elenith. As I sat in one of the cafes, I hardly noticed any 'beards and sandles'.
You are fast, you were at Rhayder at the same time as me. I finished in a fast time for the Elenith. Most of the beardy weirdies on their recumbents and Thorns with bizarre map holders are slow(er)

In fact, I wondered whether the 'cool to be uncool factor' is affecting audaxes. What struck was the increase in faster and younger audaxers, some were dressed in deliberately retro-kit and apparently very fashion conscious. However, like Yello's observation, steel frames were few and far between and carbon or ti bikes more obvious. There was also more riders that looked pre-middle age.
There are more people doing road cycling over the past few years. So of them a tiny minority will be now new audax riders. I welcome the new freaks...

It may or may not be the PBP affect but in all of the events I have participated in this year, there has been an obvious increase in numbers. My own Snowdrop and Sunrise Express sold out six weeks ahead of the event, the Cheltenham Flyer was busy, Barry's Bristol Ball Bash had hundreds and The Elenith, more popular than usual.
It is the PBP effect. New people enter stuff because they want to do the PBP. Old people crawl out of the woodwork because they want to do the PBP again

Talking to my riders at the Snowdrop and Sunrise Express, many of them were new to audaxing. In some instances they were defectors from sportives and in others, completely new to cycling. Yes the 'old reliables' did enter but there was also whole new contingent.
You are very good at promoting your rides :smile:

We may be seeing a rebirth. I'm optimistic for the future of audaxing.
It's just surfin' the wave of the current cycling boom

Klaus

I have just joined AUDAX and once I have a bit more time hope to take part in some of the 100s in the south east.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I have just joined AUDAX and once I have a bit more time hope to take part in some of the 100s in the south east.

South East....is Dave Hudson territory (a.k.a. El Supremo) An old school AUK organiser of the very best sort, worth doing one of his rides just for the incredible roadside catering (all included in the entry fee). Makes all new riders very welcome too. I did one of his as my first last year and would heartily recommend them.

Mr Bunbury

Well I'm sorry for being in my twenties! I'm afraid that I don't have a crusty 1960s tourer to ride because I wasn't around in the 1960s to buy one. Should I crawl back under my rock, do a few overpriced sportives and leave Audax to the beardy weirdies?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It will be that carbon bikes are dead cheap to get now. Steel bikes are usually well loved bits of kit or new big buck builds.

Don't worry about it.

I ride a couple of sportives a year on my old 'iron', :whistle: it always gets serious attention, 'oh old skool' - erm yes it's my best bike. Thanks :tongue:

OP
OP
Y

yello

Can I just reiterate that this thread was not meant to be an old v new / steel v carbon / beards v spots cliché. I have no problem with any of that (I use clearasil) so please people, let's not turn it that way. I can assure you that any references I have made to such things have strictly been knowing, tongue-in-check irony.

My 'issue', such that it was, is to do with the differences between a particular audax and what I was familiar with in the UK. I hope that's clear.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
...For instance, my own club is doing a puka 200 audax (road captain etc) next month, its first ever... but only for the club, no outsiders. I can't see the sense in that personally but maybe it's an insurance thing.

There are two Paris-Brest-Paris's this year, the ACP randonneur version, and the UAF audax version. They may have been practising for the latter - and you have to be in a team to take part.

Top Bottom