Has audax in the UK changed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Y

yello

There are two Paris-Brest-Paris's this year, the ACP randonneur version, and the UAF audax version. They may have been practising for the latter - and you have to be in a team to take part.

I didn't realise that you took part in teams. I foolishly thought it was just one massive audax! Though thinking about the logistics of that now, that'd be mayhem!!

In the case of my club though; no, they're not training for audax PBP - believe me! In fact, when we did the reccy a couple of weeks back, myself and our club captain where the only ones ever to have ridden 200km before. Our club is very socially orientated; more of a Sunday pootlers outing than serious randonneurs... and I like it that way, even if it does mean I'm on me tod for brevets etc. To most off them, anything more than 4 hours on a bike is complete lunacy! And I can get my head around that!!

Philip Whiteman

Über Member
Well I'm sorry for being in my twenties! I'm afraid that I don't have a crusty 1960s tourer to ride because I wasn't around in the 1960s to buy one. Should I crawl back under my rock, do a few overpriced sportives and leave Audax to the beardy weirdies?

It's best just to ignore the carbon fascism and grumpy old men who want audax to stay in the 1970s. If they want to see audax die off then they are going the best way about it. I ride events almost exclusively in the South Midlands and Mid-Wales, nearly all include an ecclectic mix of riders, most of whom are welcoming irrelevant of age, colour or make of bicycle and that is the way it should be! Nearly all are well patronised and well organised and geared towards encouraging riders of all capabilities.

The most enlightning audax I participated in this year was LVIS's Barry's Bristol Ball Bash. Lots of cyclists of all capabilities, riding on carbon, ti, steel, aluminium; participants were all ages, racers, traditional audaxers, plodders and triathletes. It was an all inclusive event of over 400 participants. The best thing about the event was its friendly, fun and inclusive atmosphere. They set a high bench mark and one that my own club's events would struggle to match.

So keep up with audaxes - bring along your friends and ignore the old grumps. Others should stop condemning younger riders for packing in good times on long distance endurance events, not condemn them but honour their athleticism. Audaxing should be for the next and current generation and not those who want to keep it in the past. Times move on and audax needs to move with it - and I believe that it is.

..... I own a big spoon by the way :whistle: .

asterix

Comrade Member
Well, I am doing a sportive in May.

As previously stated I'll be riding a steel bike with 'guards and a saddle bag. I haven't decided about the beard yet - I think there's still time.

I may use the 2009 steel bike or the '87 vintage. The newer bike has more reliable gears (t'other needs new chainset) but is not quite as comfortable as the older.

When it comes to mounts, I hardly know my trek from my cervelo :sad:

With a bit of luck I may get in amongst the medallists but my main concern is riding in bunches of people who might be a bit over competitive - I tend to be a lone rider - but as it is very hilly I guess the bunches won't last!

Hope it's nice and sunny..

GrasB

Veteran
I did a few 100km audaxs last year, all on my road bike... sure it happens to be a bit carbon blingish but that's because the road bike is the most appropriate bike for this kind of event - the frame is compliant & it has 'guards, both the boardman & fixie don't make the grade for various reasons. My impression on the 100km audaxs was that the more race orientated riders were just there for a longish fastish ride. Those going for the 200km audaxs looked to be more of the fast touring type of rider, far more steel & titanium seen on the 200km starting line too.

Mr Bunbury

Indeed you do. And when I expressly stated that I had no wish for this to derail into an argument about something nobody has said, I'm baffled as to WHY you reached for that spoon.
You say that you feel "demoralised" because a ride had some younger riders riding modern bikes, who didn't want to carry more stuff than necessary and who weren't afraid to ride in an efficient formation like any good club run. That describes me to a tee, so how do you think it looks from here? I just want to get out and enjoy riding my bike, I can do without being told that my presence demoralises people because I'm not carrying superfluous kit or sporting a beard.

OP
OP
Y

yello

You say that you feel "demoralised" because a ride had some younger riders riding modern bikes

I didn't say I was demoralised "because" of that. I mentioned that they were there, which they were, and they travelled light and fast, which they did. It's a fact but not the cause of my feelings. If you read further you'll have seen that I suggested the cause of my feeling down was probably due to the nature of the organisation; partly having an expectation built from my experiences of UK audax that wasn't met. And particularly at finishing to a near empty car park with no organiser there to check you in, nor other riders to have a chat with. It made me feel a bit empty. Can you see that?

My intention was not to make you nor any other newcomer to audax feel unwelcome. I'm sorry if that's the way it came across but, believe me, I have no problem at all with this type of rider (young or old). On the contrary, it made me think about my own approach and wonder if lighter/faster might be more, or at least as, rewarding. I can certainly see that for some (people like yourself presumably) it is exactly that.

Fiona N

Veteran
I'm happy to say that my sister, an ironman triathlete who's taken a shine to the idea of qualifying for PBP, had a very happy experience on her first Audax - a 200km down the marshes way in Kent.

She turned up on an oldish Al Cannondale road bike (as opposed to the bling-y Specialized carbon TT bike - she's not daft :biggrin:) and was welcomed into the fold, finding a sociable companion to ride with (she was recovering from tonsilitis so not wanting a 200km group blast) who showed her the ropes at the controls and helped with the instructions sheet.

She's now off to buy a Polaris map holder and mudguards :ohmy: - a real convert :thumbsup: so someone's doing something right

YahudaMoon

Über Member
[sub]Hi yello. not like that yet though it has changed. Theres a mix really though its still mainly old school style. Theres a little carbon bling going on and its all good. Im full on old scool with rack n pannier and Im not that old 40 ? maybe Iam ? Thats the way I like it. Id only do carbon bling on a hot hot day 200km any longer or colder the full on audax bike comes out.

Times are changing in France then ! wow !

Don't let it put ya down. Some old timers I ve met over the years have inspired me into more audax and there like my hereos[/sub]

Top Bottom