Has the loud exhaust fashion died?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I live in a busy street for traffic, forming part of a rat run used by our local "boy/girl racers". I've just noticed that the number of loud, firecracker type exhausts seems to be dwindling - thankfully!
Has it? Or is it a seasonal thing? (not so much posing around in Corsas in winter).
Perhaps the Police have had a crackdown on them; or maybe the message has got round that having these annoying accessories fitted makes your expensive insurance null and void in the event of a claim (if insurer checks the vehicle, obviously).
Who knows, but I hope the peace lasts!

classic33

Leg End Member
Still got three round here, one a Just Eats delivery car.
The motorbikes are another thing though.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
It's still a fecking nuisance to say the least, around here. I always get my fantasy RPG out when I hear one bang, 'whoosh' etc!!🧐

s-l300.jpg

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Some of the Uber/Just eat/deliveroo riders around here have bikes with very loud non standard exhaust pipes on.

Quite a few cars these days with switchable valves so they noise can be “switched on” when required.

gbb

Legendary Member
The insurance thing is probably a driver, it may just be a change in attitude, expectation and desire to 'do up a car.(if that's the right word :laugh: )
As a 17 year old with Minis, the first thing I wanted to do was fit a cherry bomb exhaust, various extra guages, a whip aerial, wheel spacers etc etc. Its what loads of us did.
Now, I think young people have lost that desire, add the insurance thing (1976 my first annual insurance was 2 weeks wages, now it tends to be IRO 4 to 8 weeks wages ?)...
In essence though, I think its just not the done thing anymore.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Exhausts used to last four or five years before they fell to pieces; my theory is that the rusted out exhaust could be replaced by a 'fun' noisy one.

Now most exhausts last the life of the car so you'd have to be pretty determined to spend the money on a noisy one.

Last edited:

stephec

Legendary Member
Doesn't most of the daft noise come from tuning nowadays, I've seen plenty of adverts for remaps that offer optional, 'pops and bangs,' I must be getting old if I think you'd have to be a bit of a bellend to want that. 😂

tyred

Legendary Member
Today I undertook a longish journey with a hole in my exhaust and it was horrible and I could barely hear the radio. I will be fixing it ASAP.

Why anyone would pay money to make their cars sound like this is a mystery to me. I suppose they never really go anywhere apart from driving around town.

Top Bottom