Has the loud exhaust fashion died?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
As a 17 year old with Minis, the first thing I wanted to do was fit a cherry bomb exhaust, various extra guages, a whip aerial, wheel spacers etc etc. Its what loads of us did.
Now, I think young people have lost that desire, add the insurance thing (1976 my first annual insurance was 2 weeks wages, now it tends to be IRO 4 to 8 weeks wages ?)...
In essence though, I think its just not the done thing anymore.

Same here to a certain extent
Must admit when the rear silencer broke a few weeks ago on our Nissan Note it was like being 18 again apart from driving a Nissan and partially bald .

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Never had the money or inclination TBH even when i was young

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
big exhaust , big speakers, small ...........

Oi! I've got a subwoofer in my boot. But I always turn it down when entering or leaving my road, and when sat in traffic. Loud pipes are more annoying, especially on 125's as they take ages to accelerate so you've got the full rev range going on. Some twit down the road has the loudest 125 I've ever heard, and leaves early, comes back very late. Just rolls along the road with the clutch pulled in brapping it annoyingly

gbb

Legendary Member
As a 17 year old who partook of loud exhausts etc etc, the one thing you didn't do it for was to annoy anyone or to impress people, you did it because it could be done, was a thing and you got some pleasure from it. It genuinely never occurred to me it might be (and undoubtedly was) annoying , rightly or wrongly thats the simple truth.
I do remember in my 30s sat in a carpark as a young fella drove in, too fast, music blaring, exhaust blowing and I thought, look at that idiot. Then in the next moment I thought, yeah I was that idiot at 17 :headshake: :laugh:

You grow up....obviously some don't.... or take their time about it

Jody

Stubborn git
Plenty of straight pipes and pop/bang remaps around here.

Where I live is pretty quite with a quiet country lane nearby which attracts what I suspect is the Instagram crowd at night. Regularly you hear cars being revved for some time and a lot of burnouts. I almost don't mind the car sound but get fed up with the accompanying gunshots.

Crackle maps are this generations dump valve. The phase will pass and people will eventually get fed up of it.

Chris S

Legendary Member
There are still a few in South Central Birmingham but not as many. I think the police may actually have clamped down on them.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I live in a busy street for traffic, forming part of a rat run used by our local "boy/girl racers". I've just noticed that the number of loud, firecracker type exhausts seems to be dwindling - thankfully!
Has it? Or is it a seasonal thing? (not so much posing around in Corsas in winter).
Perhaps the Police have had a crackdown on them; or maybe the message has got round that having these annoying accessories fitted makes your expensive insurance null and void in the event of a claim (if insurer checks the vehicle, obviously).
Who knows, but I hope the peace lasts!

I certainly hope so. There's a bloke near me who has a motorbike which makes an ear-splitting cracking noise, must have been akin to a brontosaurus farting a few million years ago :eek: . A mate of mine who's a cop was staying the other year and when it went by, he mused 'I'd bust him if I was on duty'...and he rides motorbikes too. Always appears to me to be the alpha male sound of 'Look at me, I have a massive d**k'. No...you are a massive d**k.

Red17

Veteran
With motorcycles there is also the " loud pipes save lives" view. About as toxic and divisive as the cycling helmet debate.

Not sure that could be applied to cars though.

Still plenty of cars with loud popping exhausts around South London, usually being driven to maximise attention to themselves.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Not been in Aberdeen for a few years but the police allowed a gathering of such cars on one night per week near the Beach Boulevard. Must have been a pita for those who lived in the nearby flats but it did contain the nuisance and there was no tolerance outside those times. It seemed to work.

Top Bottom