Has the loud exhaust fashion died?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Still plenty round here. Cheshire Police HQ in town too, seem to have more interest in chasing other issues.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
or maybe the message has got round that having these annoying accessories fitted makes your expensive insurance null and void in the event of a claim (if insurer checks the vehicle, obviously)

I've never heard this before. Is it based on making alterations which make the vehicle non-standard?

Can't be because insurance companies have developed a social conscience.

figbat

Slippery scientist
or maybe the message has got round that having these annoying accessories fitted makes your expensive insurance null and void in the event of a claim (if insurer checks the vehicle, obviously).

It doesn’t nullify insurance though. At worst it gives the insurer the ability to make a civil claim against the holder for breach of contract, but the insurer will still be liable for third party claims should they arise, and this makes the driver compliant.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Certainy not out fashion. Most of my son's friends (all car nuts) have modified exhausts. We've also got a lad opposite, with a nice 'standard' 3 series that's had a big exhaust on - and he's up early for work ! My son doesn't use his car much as he has a company va, so at least the noise levels are low. Does drive me mad though, and he's under strict instructions not to hiss the neighbours off with it.

tyred

Legendary Member
If they were doing it on tuned petrol engines it wouldn't even be so bad but a straight bore exhaust on knackered old VW TDis is not a nice sound.

Even worse when they have those stupid dump valve kits.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
I've never heard this before. Is it based on making alterations which make the vehicle non-standard?

Can't be because insurance companies have developed a social conscience.

If you make non standard modifications to a car, you are supposed to inform your insurance company. Makes sense, as it may make it more attractive to thieves, or increase it's performance etc..
It also serves as a handy get-out for insurance companies when things go wrong, as they can say that they wouldn't have insured the car if they had known about x, y, or z modifications.

Top Bottom