Hats at the Victoria and Albert

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
http://www.vam.ac.uk/microsites/hats-anthology/

it costs a fiver to get in, but if millinery gets you going, this is a really interesting exhibition. I was a tad disappointed not to see hats with lights, or fishtanks in, but there's pretty much everything else, and you get to try some stuff on.

I went with my friend Rebekah. We're starting a kind of club in which we go off once a week for a tour of a museum, armed with sandwiches and a flask of tea. It's good to give yourself a little quota to fill - like almost all other Londoners I'm very lazy when it comes to the culture on my doorstep.

I mention only in passing, and really without any thought at all about the kind of subscriber that these esteemed pages attract, that one could hazard a guess that in a room with approximately 300 people in I was the only straight male. And hats are a ice-breaker.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
"if millinery gets you going"

No pushing at the back there...

Arch

Married to Night Train
I'll see your hat museum, and raise you the Leicester gas museum.

http://www.gasmuseum.co.uk/

All the 'fun' of a museum about gas, coupled with an ever pervasive slight smell of gas...

Well, it did when I went, they've probably closed the gasworks since then.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
snorri said:
What about helmets, were there any helmets:?:.:biggrin:

:smile:

yes - one by Specialized, and Darth Vadars. And one that looked like a Cadbury's Smash head.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I agree - hats are fantastic and much under-rated. If you include crash helmets I have 27 hats. My favourites are the beanie, the very faded and threadbare baseball and the one I don't wear much, the Glengarry. This is a Glengarry:

CP_GLEN.jpg

Although I have removed the dicing, which has sectarian overtones and the pom pom. The next one I will buy will be a Balmoral Bonnet:

displayImage.php

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I think me should wear more hats, and I don't mean those stupid woolly things that sloaney students usually accompany with pink rugby shirts and stained jeans hanging off their arses (and the pervasive odour of stale beer and CKone).

No, I mean proper hats. A fine Fedora, a 'Gatsby' cap, or rakish Trilby. Even a Stove-pipe or a Tricorn if you can get away with it...

Tynan

Veteran
Saw some chinese hats once, the peasant one was rubbish

the nobleman's one was the bollocks though, a jaunty feather and a pair of boar's tusks, very jaunty and jack the lad indeed

Top Bottom