Hats off to Lemmy, RIP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
Same thing happened at Ipswich Regent.

I can't remember exactly what he said, but it was along the lines of "They might as well be sat in the living room. Let them stand or I'll batter all of you." The look of fear on several faces was brilliant.

subaqua

What’s the point
I was 15 when I first saw them live 17th September 1987 at the Tiv in Buckley. I didn't go to school the next day as I couldn't hear anything much. for 2 days. best bit was having a beer with him as he went to the restaurant my mum worked at before the gig. it was a closed meal for the evenings band and crew but as my mum worked there I got in . I was instructed to sit at the bar and just look on in awe. I had a pint of lager and he came over and growled " don't drink that rubbish, have a proper drink " and gave me a tshirt.

best day a teenager metalhead could have, my 13 yr old brother was well jealous

Ciar

Veteran
No not that bit, this bit...

the Rainbow was his favourite watering hole where if you were lucky and went in for a drink you might find Lemmy sitting playing the fruit machine, it sounds like the bar moved the machine to his house for his last hours, all in all in gutted been a fan for over 30 years, last night i was actually looking at tickets as me and a couple of mates were going to see them as it's Motorheads 40th anniversary year.

RIP Lemmy.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I saw Motorhead at the Outlook in Doncaster in, about 1978. After the gig I was having a final drink when Lemmy came up to me and asked. "Where have all the women gone?"
I didn't realise was 70.
RIP.
How old did he look in 1978 - only 21 ...? :whistle:

I went to watch Hawkwind at the Coventry Theatre as an impressionable young man in the mid-1970s. It was either just before or just after Lemmy left the band - I can't remember which, the mid-70s are a bit of a blur!

TBH, my main reason for going was that I'd heard about Stacia and thought her dancing might be 'interesting' but instead of a statuesque semi-naked woman covered in body paint, we were startled to find a giant green frog skulking about the stage ... (We didn't have laser light shows in those days!)

I think the last thing that Lemmy would want to do is to Rest In Peace, so I suggest Be Very Loud Elsewhere And Enjoy That Too! :cheers:

Billy Wizz

Über Member
I was 15 when I first saw them live 17th September 1987 at the Tiv in Buckley. I didn't go to school the next day as I couldn't hear anything much. for 2 days. best bit was having a beer with him as he went to the restaurant my mum worked at before the gig. it was a closed meal for the evenings band and crew but as my mum worked there I got in . I was instructed to sit at the bar and just look on in awe. I had a pint of lager and he came over and growled " don't drink that rubbish, have a proper drink " and gave me a tshirt.

best day a teenager metalhead could have, my 13 yr old brother was well jealous

I seen them down the road at The Deeside leisure center around 7 years earlier,he tried to get off with my girlfriend of the time.lol.

Brains

Legendary Member
I occasionally worked with the band 1983-86 flogging T-Shirts.
So if you bought a black Motorhead t-shirt with the Snaggletooth skull logo during that period, then I may have sold it to you.

Lemmy was one of Rock and Roll's few gentlemen, he was polite, no prima donna, and you mostly got what you saw on the tin (with a surprising interest in British History), He was also the ultimate ligger, and would often attend three or more gigs a night around the west end of London, I was close to the door often enough to know that the door security knew not to even bother to ask for a ticket or see if he was on a guest list.

Rock In Peace

Billy Wizz

Über Member
On another forum i am on, a op quoted, he is probably in between Heaven and Hell and wondering which to decide and probably waiting for a friend to come along.

Drago

Legendary Member
This is one of those sad deaths that it's going to take a while to fully appreciate just how much duller a world without Motorhead will be.

I never really 'got' the music of Motorhead, but when I saw them live I certainly got the force that they were.

Never in the field of music has one man played so loudly to so many.
Here Here. Only the passing of Ian Anderson is liable to affect me this much. 2 guys who've provided the soundtrack to the last 35 years of my life.

And to cap it all off, they were mates as well, going right back the the sixties.

Billy Wizz

Über Member
We all know what he did
although it seems Lemmy had no belief in either but as Mark Twain wrote...
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
I imagine he'd have no hesitation in heading for some entertaining wild party with plenty of drinking, that type of company most probably best found by heading south ;)

We all know what he did and was good at,

He was also a humble man, not trying to make a saint out of a old Rock n Roller,

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eluYcLz4s54

Last year my wife and I went to a historical play and one of the young girls looked familiar, so we checked her name, and it was the same as a girl that my wife trained with - she was the spitting image of her mother.

So we approached her and asked, she confirmed it and when her mother collected her, met for the first time in many years

Nipped into a local pub and whilst my wife and the mother chatted away, daughter was asking about details... when I mentioned that I had taken her mother out to a Motorhead concert in the early 1980's she was amazed as that was not something her elegant, refined and very proper mother would even contemplate.

Top Bottom