Have I brought the wrong chain or haven't I?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I recently brought this chain from Tredz https://www.tredz.co.uk/.KMC-X8-93-Chain-116L_43005.htm
Listed under the 6-7-8 speed chains section. My gearing is 50-34 on the front and 11-32 on the back, 8 speed hence why I brought a chain from this section. The picture shows what they have just sent me. Particularly confused by the 18 speed, 21 speed and 24 speed wording on the the bottom left of the packet. The chain was advertised online as being in the 6-7-8 speed section. So does this wording on the packet mean something different? Or have I somehow brought either brought the wrong chain or had the wrong product sent to me?

20171103_115752.jpg

screenman

Legendary Member
6 7 and 8 across the rear.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
18-21-24 is the total number of gears available if you have a 6-7-8 speed block so just a different way of expressing the same thing.

ETA: that's assuming a triple ring up front, obvs.

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
18-21-24 is the total number of gears available if you have a 6-7-8 speed block so just a different way of expressing the same thing.

ETA: that's assuming a triple ring up front, obvs.
I have a double chainring up front, so I assume I can still use that chain. Just might need to shorten it.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yeah, bad labelling by KMC. Again. Most of their chains are pretty good but their marketing department seems a bit :crazy:

chriscross1966

Über Member
As someone with an interest in metallurgy and engineering, I'd suggest they'd work-hardened it or some form of temperature treatment....

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
When you take your old chain off, hang it and the new chain from a thin support - a nail or something, then note the link on the new chain that's alongside the lowest link on the old chain. That's where you need to break the new chain. Discard the 'leftover'.

Top Bottom