Have I found a good way to clean my cassette?

Am I a bad person for washing my cassette in the dishwasher?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I clean my tyres in the washing machine on 20c with a tiny bit of non-bio liquid.
BUT!! I only do it when I’m certain MrsPete will be out for 58 minutes as that gives 55 for the wash, and 3 for me to get them out of the kitchen before she sees what I’ve been up to :laugh:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I've used one these...

3454AllsopTravelCleanerP1290514(Small).jpg

edit... sorry... one of these...

prod7212_IMGSET?wid=500&hei=505.jpg

it was crap.

On the rare occasion that i do clean it, I remove the cassette, soak in a bowl of white spirit before sacrificing some J-cloths.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Explain to the good, the brave and the clean of heart, this witchcraft you speak of.
I think he means the old degausser you would get to demagnetise your old boom box before running a precious Run DMC tape, as you unfurled your square of vinyl in the shopping centre as dusk fell, ready to spin some shapes on your beanie hat.
I don’t think he means you can demagnetise bike parts to keep your chain cleaner....Or does he?
Thanks for the info on Audax sleeping kit - some good ideas, but you didn’t mention how you carry your steam, or what hand your Audax tent peg hammer is?!

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I clean my tyres in the washing machine on 20c with a tiny bit of non-bio liquid.
BUT!! I only do it when I’m certain MrsPete will be out for 58 minutes as that gives 55 for the wash, and 3 for me to get them out of the kitchen before she sees what I’ve been up to :laugh:

I had no idea anyone cleans tyres.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Answers on a postcard please...
Or here will do. I’m not fussy.
You know dishwashers have to be cleaned too, yes? :whistle:
Anyway, why go through the trouble to take the cassette off?
A hose and a bucket of soapy water, a brush will clean it good.
In case of stubborn dirt, the bike cleaner from the pound shop is great.
It it's too cold outside, GT85 indoors.
Imo of course.

I had no idea anyone cleans tyres.
I do, with a brush and soapy water though :blush:

I think he means the old degausser you would get to demagnetise your old boom box before running a precious Run DMC tape, as you unfurled your square of vinyl in the shopping centre as dusk fell, ready to spin some shapes on your beanie hat.
I don’t think he means you can demagnetise bike parts to keep your chain cleaner....Or does he?
Thanks for the info on Audax sleeping kit - some good ideas, but you didn’t mention how you carry your steam, or what hand your Audax tent peg hammer is?!

Hahaha. Yes. Both.
If you clean your cassette with a circular action then this can build up static electricity, which due to the bike tyres doesn't flow to earth and is exacerbated by the rotational motion it endures in use.. If you do not demagnetize the cassette regularly you may well feel your rear wheel being pulled across the road as the massive scrap metal dumpster truck passes you. The spiral motion the sprayers in a dishwasher make the water go through, along with the salt and rinse aid (the detergent t itself is fine) can make the effect of this much more apparent . Apparently.

si_c

Guru
A microfibre cloth and some spray on citrus degreaser usually gets my cassettes cleaned up nicely. Otherwise I'll use a sonic cleaner, but I only do that if the chain needs a deep clean too.

Top Bottom