Have I found a good way to clean my cassette?

Am I a bad person for washing my cassette in the dishwasher?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In particular, I wash them when I change from summer to winter tyres before storing them for next seasons riding.
Thanks for clarifying with the second post. Thought it was a wind up after the first.

No need to wash cassettes either. Just run a greasy cloth, preferably with a good seam back and forth between the cogs a few times. Bit of old shirt or suchlike is fine.
Anything else i must say strikes me as plain anal.

robgul

Legendary Member
Using a bit of sisal string like denatl floss, with a spray of degreaser, works a treat to clean cassettes

Rob

si_c

Guru
I've mentioned this before but ... a while ago I bought a packet of "gear floss" - bits of fat string for cleaning between your sprockets. They are brilliant and last for ages. Now, yes, I do realise that they cost more :ohmy: (a whole fiver for 20, oh my lord, I truly have more money than sense) than an old bit of rag but they are really good and that packet has lasted me a couple of years and is still going.
That just means either you don't clean your drivetrain enough!

Alan O

Über Member
I've mentioned this before but ... a while ago I bought a packet of "gear floss" - bits of fat string for cleaning between your sprockets. They are brilliant and last for ages. Now, yes, I do realise that they cost more :ohmy: (a whole fiver for 20, oh my lord, I truly have more money than sense) than an old bit of rag but they are really good and that packet has lasted me a couple of years and is still going.
Don't mean to criticize something that works... but have you thought of just buying a big ball of string for 50p or so? ;)

ozboz

Guru
B39BCE95-8397-4DC3-B6B1-0E0FE2554703.jpeg

This the best way , find out the high tide times in Richmond and then go for a few scoops in the White Cross and leave it to Mother Nature ,, .....

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
What is this "cleaning" of which you speak?
I rode the Tissington Trail in September, and there's still a good half-inch of limestone-based crud stuck to my downtube.

Top Bottom