Have I got this right? Chain line.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

Bobtoo

Über Member
That makes sense, and you could build the bike up as fixed and use it while you saved up for the bits to make it geared.

ChrisEyles

Guru
The original wheelset on my 1960s Cinelli was 5-speed one side, fixed the other. I always ran it on the 5-speed freewheel, and kept it that way when I had to buy a new rear wheel (the 42t small chainring gives me enough problems on steep hills as it is!).

Chain line is difficult. My fixed gear bike has what looks to me like a really good chain line, yet it's thrown the chain when leaning into corners over bumpy ground a few times now. If you think it could be improved upon, I'd try and do it, you don't want to have an avoidable accident if the chain unships and jams in the rear wheel.

Sharky

Guru
The original wheelset on my 1960s Cinelli was 5-speed one side, fixed the other. I always ran it on the 5-speed freewheel, and kept it that way when I had to buy a new rear wheel (the 42t small chainring gives me enough problems on steep hills as it is!).

Chain line is difficult. My fixed gear bike has what looks to me like a really good chain line, yet it's thrown the chain when leaning into corners over bumpy ground a few times now. If you think it could be improved upon, I'd try and do it, you don't want to have an avoidable accident if the chain unships and jams in the rear wheel.
Try a narrow/wide chain ring, it really helps to keep the chain on.

ChrisEyles

Guru
Good idea! I've got one on my FS MTB and it helped a load with chain retention over the rough stuff.

Running cottered cranks at the moment so would need a BB change, but definitely worth thinking about.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
That makes sense, and you could build the bike up as fixed and use it while you saved up for the bits to make it geared.
I think is was more usual that the bike was normally ridden as geared, and the fixed sprocket on the other side was the light weight "get you home" gear for when the freewheel exploded

Top Bottom