Have I lost a part?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kell

Veteran
The hex bolt that secures the 2-speed shifter on my Brompton dropped out the other day.

I only noticed as I had three speeds rather than the six I should have.

So I replaced it with another one, but I'm struggling with shifting on that side now. If I tighten it too much it won't move, and if it's too loose, then I run the risk of it dropping out again, plus shifting isn't great there either.

Does anyone have a link to an exploded diagram or a video that shows fitting and/or replacement? I wonder if there's a washer that's missing or something.

It's got to the stage now where it will only shift up or down if I pedal really gently and takes a good 30 seconds of continuous gentle pedalling to do so.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I'm fairly sure that I found one when I was doing the cable replacement on my six speed. Assuming no-one answers before, I'll attempt to find the link again and post it once I get home.

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
Thanks for those.

I've been playing about with the tension of the cable in the shifter, but hadn't realised there were limit screws on the chain pusher.

I'll have a look at the weekend.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Sounds like you maybe missing the tiny m4 washer that fits under the changer mechanism. There's one under the replaced bold screw head and one under the mechanism.

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
PS - forgot to update this with a thank you

Added some washers and threadlock and played about with the limit adjusters. Was shifting fine for a couple of days and then the chain started jumping off the big ring.

Luckily I managed to stay on the bike the few times it happened, so I readjusted the limit screw and it seems to be shifting well and not jumping.

Top Bottom