Have I made a mistake?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cabbieman

Hi all. Bought a drop bar road bike a few months ago to try and get a bit fit riding. Not really done much cycling in the past.
I realise I only ever have my hands on the top of the bars and never on the drop bit as it's just not natural and comfortable for me. I don't have a problem with having my hands on the top, just wondered if I changed them for straight bars would this be of any benefit at all.
My goal isn't speed, just miles really.
Not sure what to do?

Carry on riding on the "hoods" as we say. Most of us spend 90% of our time on the hoods and just a bit on the drops. Going for flats cost a lot of money and flats are not as comfortable as drops.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Straight bars will change the reach and you may need either rare road-diameter straight bars or new control levers, so it's not usually done.

If you find the drops uncomfortable, is it because they're too low for you? That can be adjusted... but most people seem to ride on the hoods (the tops of the brake levers) more than the drops these days. http://bikeretrogrouch.blogspot.com/2013/10/changing-positions.html?m=1

vickster

Legendary Member
In my experience changing a road bike to flats doesn't work, I found the bike way too small afterwards

I use the drops very occasionally, just use the hoods and tops if that works best, there's no right or wrong

You will get used to the drop bar set up if you stick with it. I'll concur with the above points about frequency of use of the drops as well.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
The drop parts of my Basso bars have almost pristine bar tape :smile:

Shaun
^^ same here on both my road bike and my Tourer. I can count on one hand the amount of times I have used the drops.

screenman

Legendary Member
I use the drops likely half and half with the hoods, do any of you not using the have compact bars. Most people in life back away from a bit of discomfort, but if the bike is fitted to you correctly and you have no mobility problems riding on the drops should be as comfortable as the hoods with a little perserverence.

Cetainly makes headwinds easier.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm not well designed for using drops and don't like the required neck craning to see the road clearly. Basically only ever used on straight empty roads, i.e. Almost never in these parts!

robjh

Legendary Member
Small differences in the configuration of a bike, eg. saddle-handlebars distance and height difference, as well as the bar shape, can make a bike more or less comfortable on the drops. On one of my bikes I spent about 50% of the time on the drops as it just seemed natural and comfortable, but on my other bikes I do so much less. But as most people have already said, it is quite usual to spend most of the time on the hoods, and to drop down only for short bursts, riding into wind etc.

pawl

Legendary Member
Try flipping the stem ?
Hi all. Bought a drop bar road bike a few months ago to try and get a bit fit riding. Not really done much cycling in the past.
I realise I only ever have my hands on the top of the bars and never on the drop bit as it's just not natural and comfortable for me. I don't have a problem with having my hands on the top, just wondered if I changed them for straight bars would this be of any benefit at all.
My goal isn't speed, just miles really.
Not sure what to do?

I swopped to compact drops (less drop) Use the drops more now.

Top Bottom