Have I made a mistake?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I have drops and never...or rarely use the droppy bits.

But I like the shifters the brakes and the positioning more than my flat bar bikes.

Personally unless you are talking about getting a whole additional bike for an additional experience, I wouldn't try to make one bike into another.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
:laugh: Yeah, right.
Just for a laugh, I once had a go at that. On a nice clear straight road. The best I can say is that I didn't fall off.
I'll leave that to the pro's in future.
Just me then does on unlit country lanes ?

Definitely not a mistake. The option of differing hand-positions is a massive benefit. You only really need to ride the drops if slogging into a strong wind, when you still need to "pop-up" from time to time. It can also help when screaming down a hill and you might need a BIG handful of brake.
One of our club riders who has been riding straights for years eventually bit the bullet and bought a "racing" bike. Last week she asked me if I could convert her straight-handlebar bike to drops too. (I said no - too expensive and complicated to be worth it.)
The way you ride a drop-handlebar bike is more dynamic: you move around it changing position. This means the pressure points are varied and you can ride longer distances. It also means you can adapt to a wider variety of conditions. Stick with it.

Mrs M

Guru
I practically never use the drops on my roadie (maybe it's an age thing? always used them as a kid) :dry:
I like the variety of positions the road bars give, although the narrow bars now feel more twitchy compared the the Pashley "cruiser" bars.
Love them both though :wub: :bicycle:

midlife

Guru
Just an excuse to show a pic of my fave rider giving it some beans "on the tops" :smile:

2w3ord5.jpg

Shaun

Attachments

• 2w3ord5.jpg
    2w3ord5.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 48

Cow Pie

Always on the tops for general riding. Use the drops when descending, sprinting or riding into a head wind.
I do find riding the drops very natural and a comfortable position to be in but at slower/medium speeds they don't exactly aid stability or help with all round observations when on the road.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have drops but never use the bottom half. I have just added more tape to the top to make them thicker. I like drops because I like riding on the hoods.

bikeman66

Not exactly flats.......but didn't every early teens schoolboy get an old road bike and stick a pair of "cow horns" on it??? There can't possibly be a better combination than an early 80's Peugeot racer (or paper round hack) and a set of 36" wide "cowies" for popping 250 metre wheelies.

Back on topic........stick with your current bars. Just because you prefer not to use the drops, doesn't mean you should deny yourself of the other very comfortable positions for your hands. Riding up hills is easier (in my opinion) on the hoods than with flats too.

Just me then does on unlit country lanes ?

Nope,me too;I actually find it really comfy but then I do have monkey arms^_^ and both the Ridleys have long-ish top tubes so are suited nicely*..I find it only really works if you are cruising at a good pace and I only do it solo usually not in a group.

*And in my little mind I can imagine I'm Thomas DeGend or Tim Wellens on a solo break:rolleyes::giggle::rofl:

Last edited:

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
I wonder if you spend so little time in the drops why you just dont get a hybrid in the 1st place with Ergon grips.

vickster

Legendary Member
I wonder if you spend so little time in the drops why you just dont get a hybrid in the 1st place with Ergon grips.
Even though I very very rarely ride on the drops, I still find the roadbikes more comfortable over longer distances than the hybrid with Ergon grips. It's not just about the shape of the handlebars I think :smile:

Johnno260

Veteran
Hi all. Bought a drop bar road bike a few months ago to try and get a bit fit riding. Not really done much cycling in the past.
I realise I only ever have my hands on the top of the bars and never on the drop bit as it's just not natural and comfortable for me. I don't have a problem with having my hands on the top, just wondered if I changed them for straight bars would this be of any benefit at all.
My goal isn't speed, just miles really.
Not sure what to do?

I would say you have done it right!

I bought a flat bar bike just over a year ago, and after getting my fitness better and doing longer rides I realised I needed a bike with drop bars for additional hand positions.

Top Bottom